1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get some meat on my pups bones???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Teresaann24, May 9, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Lolli is my little girls puppy...She is 4 and half months old and is a picky eater. I thought somthing was wrong with her because she stays so slender and took her to the vet and they gave her a clean bill of health. She is eating Puppy chow and eats one bite at a time leaving most of her food still there.

What is a good food I can feed her or give her somthing extra to fatten her up some?

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We had a rescue Great Dane that was like that...we mixed in a raw egg with his food. There was also a powder supplement we got from the vet. I think if you go to the vet or petshop and mix the powdered milk replacer for puppies in with the food (the powder, not liquid) then that would probably work, too.

What kind of dog is she?

Shelly

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you're feeding her too much. All our dog finish their meal as we gave it to them, if not, it's taken away.

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Maybe she doesn't like chewing the kibble. Try blending it in the blender with something tasty.
    Did the vet check her teeth?

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    She is part basset hound and Lhasa Apso, Basset hounds are known for getting overweight but this girl is so slender.

Here is a pic of her..

[​IMG]

One with my little girl..Lolli is her puppy...
    [​IMG]

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Yes she was fully checked...

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Feeding her too much? She gets 2 cups of food twice daily and whatever is left in her bowl.

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Are you sure she's too thin? She looks perfect to me. I thought you could see her bones, or something! [​IMG] Most people tend to keep their dogs (and other pets) too fat. She isn't underweight, and she is eating as much as she needs. [​IMG] Relax! She's a pretty girl! She reminds me of Benji! LOL!

Shelly

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yep, too much, carnivore sometimes missed meals, and when it's in front of them, they eat.

10. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    What a CUTE puppy!!!! I think she looks to be a good weight, from the photo, but I add rice to the food when I need to put some weight on a rescue dog. But, as others have said, MOST people allow their dogs to get too heavy. If your vet has not mentioned her need to gain weight, just let her have what she'll finish in 15 minutes.

Enjoy her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by