How to get the "Best Blue" (in your opinion)

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Lots A Cluckin, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Hi there! I have been breeding Blue English Orpingtons for 4 years now and I know the genetics of the BBS. I would like to see pictures of your best blue birds and what color their parents were. I know with blues there are lots of different shades of blue and many different degrees of lacing. I personally prefer a nice silvery blue with dark thick lacing. This year has been the best year for my blues so far and I am really starting to see the results of my trying to get the "perfect blue" but I am still working on improving their color!

I would love to see your beautiful blues!

Ayslen Redmon
    Lots 'A' Cluckin' Farm

Here are a few of my favorite blues from my spring of 2014 hatches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Joe Emenheiser is working hard on Blue Rocks and is a wealth of information. emenheiser

3. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    Thank you! Yes I would love to hear from him!

4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Every breeder of blue poultry that I have spoken with says to breed blue to blue and cull/sell off all the splash and blacks so you raise more blues. Also, many feel the they should be silver based birds rather than gold.

5. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    Oh yes! If you had gold based blues they would have tons of red/gold leakage on their feathers...when breeding blues they HAVE to be silver based.

6. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012
    Th blue cooper maran is a good example of a what gold based blues look like

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Is that true? Even if they have all the modifier genes to turn them solid black? I know a solid black chicken can either be gold or silver.

8. Lots A Cluckin

Feb 28, 2012

9. drsteik84

drsteik84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Blackfoot, Idaho, USA
    I know this is an older thread. However, I am just looking to get started with breeding blue orpingtons and wanted to say thank you for the beautiful examples. I'm trying to develop some sense of what a quality bird should look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by