How to get the Chicks socialized to me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dbounds10, Mar 16, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Hey BYC Peeps - I have 6 week old girls and want to ensure that they get used to me handling them and are somewhat social. I have raised dogs for a long time and know the need to be able to inspect feet, teeth etc and am sure I will need to do the same for my girls one day.

I have 2 Buff Brahmas, 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Barred Rocks. Have been told that they are calm birds and seem to be so far. I dont really have to chase them around the brooder to pick them up.

I hear people talking about "playing" with them but now sure how to go about that. I also worry about holding them too much at such a young age.

I need the expert opinion - so lay it on me! [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    At six weeks old they really can be handled a lot.

3. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So I should leave them be until then? Seems like after six weeks, the will be more unhappy with suddenly being picked up all the time.

Here are the girls:

[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, handle away. Or put a little treat in your palm and lay your hand palm up in the brooder; they will learn to come to you.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i sit on the floor, and let them run around and climb on me- yes- it can get messy- but that way they know you aren't going to eat them!

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Sorry from your OP I thought they were six weeks already. Yes handle them even now. The more you do and give treats like ddawn suggested the more "socialized" they will be.

7. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I thought about the floor thing but I dont really have a place that is safe for them to run around in. If choose the garage, they could get under shelf and get stuck. If I choose the house, not sure how to keep them from running loose all over the place. I guess I could do it in the kitchen and block off the door but i am not sure about having them on a slippery tile floor. Ugh....nothing seems right.

8. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Six weeks? Or six days? They look like six days?? At six weeks, treats will help a lot and at six days, handle away! BTW, They are soooo cute!
    [​IMG]

9. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    My chicks are 3 weeks old today, and they are more and more aware that I'm the source of food, clean bedding and water, and the giver of treats. One of my Delawares is really attracted to my diamond wedding ring. My Barred Rock are the bravest, along wih my Jersey Giants. My Easter Eggers are the most shy, but all allow me to touch and pet them without running for their lives. They also let me pick them up, yet tend to make quite the fuss over it. Try some Meal worms, you'll find them looking for you after a few times. Good luck.[​IMG]

10. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Sorry for the confusion. As of today they are 8 days old. As long as its ok to handle them alot at this age, I plan to hold each one a few minutes a day and try to feed them from my hand and see how that goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by