How to get the Fiance over her fear of chickens.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickenjoe123, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Chickenjoe123

Chickenjoe123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Lets just say her ex thought it would be a good idea to throw an angry rooster in her bed when it was dark, and all the farmers shes been to have had agressive breeds that flogged her . What is a good gentle breed I could get to get her over her fear of chickens?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

silkies!

bantam cochins!

The roosters of these breeds can still be aggressive of course - it is individualized. But I have had some very sweet roosters in these breeds...just adorable.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Don't push her. Don't expect her to handle or take care of the chickens. If you want chickens, I'd suggest docile breeds like cochins, orpingtons, brahmas, silkies, things like that. Plan for her not to mess with them at all, maybe ever. You can't make someone get over being afraid of something. If she comes around on her own, fine. If not, that's fine too. Plus, lots of us here NEVER handle our birds, they're not pets, so it's perfectly acceptable to have a flock and not touch/pet them.

4. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Some bantams breeds are generally docile and their small size makes them less intimidating. The d'uccles are very sweet along with silkies and Cochins. Most of my nicest chickens are bantams.

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I'd say go with silkies. They can melt the heart of anyone who dislikes/fears chickens!

6. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    I agree. Silkies are the best way to go. Very non-intimidating. Not too hard to find, too. Perhaps bantam brahmas if you can find them. Bantams are much less intimidating to start out with than standard fowl. Stick with pullets/hens if you can. Not that roosters can't be friendly (my silkie roo is just about my sweetest in a flock of 40), but hens tend to be generally less aggressive.

7. Chickenjoe123

Chickenjoe123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Well she likes the fact of having eggs and meat, she is just afraid of the birds themselves. Which one of these breeds is a good producer of eggs and meat, that does well in Ohio I don't push her, so far she has accepted me having them and will accept the eggs and meat, we are trying to help each other get over our fears.

8. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Ah, silkies aren't the greatest of layers and go broody quite often. Any bantam you're not going to get much meat or egg size from, so you're probably stuck with large fowl. My softy self can't recommend good-natured breeds for butchering, so someone else can chime in here..

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    You can't really keep silkies for eggs and meat, they are more teddy bear pet chickens! Whatever breed you choose for eggs and meat, it might be a nice idea to hand raise some silkie chicks and keep the silkie hens as broodies which you can also have as pets, as they are pretty cuddly when they are tame.

10. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I recommend some bantam Cochins. They are a super sweet breed, don't seem to be flighty and their super cute fluffiness wins most people over. As someone else mentioned bantams are less intimidating and the fluffier the less scary and more pet like they will feel. Silkies are another great choice but as they are harder to sex, especially if you get good quality ones. You may have roosters lurking for 6 months and not know it.
    Although not huge egg layers but if you got two or three (to keep each other company) you could still make scrambled eggs and miniature fried eggs on small bread.

Ask around on the Ohio forum (if there is one) see if someone has some nice docile birds she can take a look at/visit. Gauge how she feels about it before taking the plunge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by