How to get them ready to go out??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by plecostrum, Jan 28, 2011.

1. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    This is very hard lolol when to do it without killing them

They are still in my house at 8 wks. 5wks and 4 wks lolol

I've reduced the bulbs From 30w spot to 15w to a 8w energy bulb to nothing!!

But... It's -4. at night. I have put the 6 wk olds out all day for 3 days now. But when to take the leap!!

It's a rabbit hutch 4th. I have put Perspex on both mesh doors Blocked in the bedding end

I can add a light bulb if req..

Let me know how you do it step by step from birth Inc bulbs etc

2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    If its cold out, I always make sure they have a bulb and a non-drafty coop. Sometimes I do a little Kindergarten training (out during the daytime then bring them in at night.) Whatever you do watch closely for a couple of days to make sure it's not too stressful.

If you're really worried, set up your coop with the bedding and the bulb. Then put a thermometer where the chicks will gather for warmth and see how warm it stays at night. That should give you piece of mind. A good group of feathered chicks will clump together for warmth, but you have to be careful with too many, because they may push the weaker chicks away from the heat source.

Good Luck!

3. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Should you wean them to the outdoors even when it is warmer outside? My little ones will be her mid Feb &[​IMG] will not be going out until late spring (mid April) and I have never had chickens before. Any info I can get on this is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Great question...watching this thread for good info!

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I see you are from the UK so you are probably talking -4C right? Not -4F? If that is as cold as it is and that's at night, I would have no reservations about putting them outside by 6 weeks of age. We routinely get temperatures here that are a LOT colder than that (sometimes our high for the day is colder than that!) and my chicks do fine as soon as they are fully feathered. The best thing to do would be to look ahead at the weather forecast for a few days that are mild. They will acclimatize better if they are outside ALL the time. Being outside during the day and bringing them in at night will make it too hard for their bodies to adjust. When evening comes on the first day, make sure they are snugly in their coop. Next day, let them out and repeat. After a few days they will be acclimatized and then when you get a night that is down to -4 again, they will be able to handle it. Really.

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:I see you are from the UK so you are probably talking -4C right? Not -4F? If that is as cold as it is and that's at night, I would have no reservations about putting them outside by 6 weeks of age. We routinely get temperatures here that are a LOT colder than that (sometimes our high for the day is colder than that!) and my chicks do fine as soon as they are fully feathered. The best thing to do would be to look ahead at the weather forecast for a few days that are mild. They will acclimatize better if they are outside ALL the time. Being outside during the day and bringing them in at night will make it too hard for their bodies to adjust. When evening comes on the first day, make sure they are snugly in their coop. Next day, let them out and repeat. After a few days they will be acclimatized and then when you get a night that is down to -4 again, they will be able to handle it. Really.

It got down to 7F here and I had (10) 5 week old buffs that did fine. They were fully feathered and I had a heat lamp in there 5x10 brooder pen and they just stayed under the lamp. If it is 32F+ degrees (0C+) they should be fine just have a light bulb and or heat lamp if colder than 25 or so and no drafts with Plenty of Ventilation!

-Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by