How to get them to sleep inside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catsew, Aug 19, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi, I have 2 roosters that have recently moved to their coop. They're only 10 weeks old. When they go to bed they like to sleep in the doorway. At first they didn't have any roosts, so I thought maybe that would make the difference, but they still sleep on the floor. And I tried the light inside but all that did was get them turned around. So now they are still in the doorway, but have their heads toward the inside. I just pick them up and put them inside when I go to shut the door, but I would like them to do it on their own at some point. They will go in and out all day long, so its not like they don't it or anything.
    This is how they like to sleep. The coop is now sided btw.
    [​IMG]

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    If where you want them to be is comfortable I say just keep picking them up and putting them there, seems like they just want to have a look around where they are. Eventually they will get the idea where they are to sleep. My little chickens still like to sleep in a pile, there are a few that lead the way seeking higher ground now. It takes about 3 days for a chicken to learn a new trick (given the chicken) I hope.

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Oh yeah, be happy they are at least in the doorway, Yesterday I finally captued my 'wild' flock, all 3 hens and one cockerel scratcing around insde tje coop in the evening - captured! one other roo wouldn't let me catch him and is still at large - they have been sleeping in the trees and I wondered how I was going to get them down. What luck for me,,,now I hope 3 days of captivity will reorient them to the coop...(eenie mini moe and oreo - meenie got away) moe is mad at me because she always lets me pick her up anyway, and doesn't like being inside - oh well maybe a strawberry for a treat and she'll love me again.
    Fabio on the other hand, is day 5 of picking him off the back of my chair on the poarch and putting him up inside the coop...now he's locked inside for a while...winter is coming and the predators too..and mama hen should hatch her clutch of 15 in7 or 8 more days. (This time I'll not let her teach them to live in trees - not yet anyway)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by