how to get these birds off the concrete?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JahDW, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JahDW

JahDW Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    so I built my run:

[​IMG]

As you can see it's on cement, and I'm not so sure if this is the best for my little hen's feet. Do I need to get them off the concrete? use some kind of bedding... or sand? i dunno how manageable this will be putting bedding directly onto the cement. raise the whole deal on a few cinder blocks and have a wood floor on the run, then add bedding?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd add some straw, pine shavings or sand.
    Concrete is good but needs to be covered cause chicken poo is like concrete glued to concrete.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Where are you located? If you are in a cold region, that concrete will get VERY cold. I wouldn't want to walk on it so I would say elevate on blocks and add a floor!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Why don't you pour some sand in there? It helps make cleaning easier, and the chickens will love it. You can scoop out the poop with a kitty litter scooper and it stays relatively clean.

5. JahDW

JahDW Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    yea... the more I read the more I'm liking the sand option. Now if I could only find river sand in my area!

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Now if I could only find river sand in my area!

Most any good building supply place will either have it or can tell you where to get it.​

7. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    In a pinch, Walmart sells 'playground' sand, fairly cheap. Doesnt look like you'd need a whole lot.

8. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    We got our sand from a cement company. They had choices of various kinds...seems like construction sand was what we went with, but I don't remember for sure. I can't think of anything that would be easier to keep clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by