How to get water in you bator without opening it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Mar 29, 2012.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    With my furnace still running it takes most of the hummidity out of the air and the bator so I come up with this so I don`t have to keep opening it to add water,glass of water with a cotton rope in it and then into the bator where the hole is for the tuner cord to come out through.Works great,keeps it at 45% [​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I use a straw in the vent hole to add water! I'm on day 20...so I'm trying to keep humidity around 65-70%.

3. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I use a turkey bastor the last four days to keep the hummidity up,in the vent holes and onto a sponge.

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That is a genius idea!!! Well done! I will be away on business when my incubator needs to go into lockdown. It's my first hatch, first bator. My wife has had no involvement for the most part and now she has to be the one to lock it down. This may just be what I need to do to ensure the humidity stays up. I imagine with a large enough supply you may never have to touch it? How well does it work? Does it get too wet inside?

5. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Which one the turkey bastor or the rope?If its lockdown I asume its the turkey bastor.I have a hummidity thing in my incubator so I keep watching it and add water when it gets down to 65%,It does not take much to bring it right back up to 75 to 80%.And use warm water so the temp stays about the same.Both of my wells are full when I go into lockdown to.I put the sponge under the hole and make sure when I put the water in its not on the heating element.I have read that you can fill the wells up and roll up paper towels and soak them and put them in the well to but you would have to be there maybe to take the plugs out if it gets to high so that wouldn`t work for you if your going away.I don`t know if you put two pieces of cotton rope in if it would bring the hummidity up where you would want it for the last four days or not,just thought of the rope thing two days ago.

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I was speaking of the rope trick. Does it not keep the well filled? My wife will be around so she can monitor, but it sure would be nice if she didn't have to do much.

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    No it does not keep the well full,the rope stays damp and that keeps the hummidity up,I fill the juice glass once a day (24 hr period)Its really dry hear because the furnace is running and it dries the air out,right now the hummidity in my house is 30%.

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine

I found that I had to fill the glass twice a day sometime,and I also found that it did keep water in one of the wells,not a lot but some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by