How to get your ducks to go into shelter box

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommakurk, Feb 4, 2014.

1. mommakurk

mommakurk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    They go into there coop at night and have a bin in there for night time to keep them warm with straw but they dont wanna go in it? Anything i can do that will help i feel like they just get cold in bottom of coop[​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Ducks don't get cold easily.

Toss some treats so that they have to enter the bin to get the treat, just to make sure that they can and will go into the bin.

Once you know that they can get in and out.......there you are. Maybe they think it is too warm to crawl in there to sleep.

3. RubberDuckee

RubberDuckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Tennessee
    Live worms for fishing make mine go crazy! I can pretty much lure her anywhere by holding up a worm. She will even jump up to get it when I ask her to. So, you could try the same...

Get a few live worms. Give a couple of the worms to your ducks as a treat so that the ducks know you have worms. Then hold back on feed or other treats. Next, lure your ducks by holding the worms and/or giving them a couple pace by pace... like Hansel and Gretel. Make sure to give you ducks several worms once they are inside their house. This way, your ducks will associate their house with yummy worms!

Hope this helps!

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I herd mine in, mind you on some nasty nights they go in all by themselves.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I here mine also. Since I have a drop style door that must be closed from the inside, which I can't do while I am herding outside, I always enlist a helper to drop the door while I herd. I suppose a LGD could be trained to do the outside work. I have used long sticks to herd when my ducks were much younger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by