How to get....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Silver
    Cinnamon
    Red Tibetan

Coturnix quail? Is there a breeding combination to get them? Or do you have to get a mutant and breed them together?

Thanks!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Cinnamon is a dominant color, so you need at least 1 cinnamon bird to get those. Red tibetan, I'm not really sure. I'm assuming it is recessive, since I have yet to hatch any red tibetans from my 1 hen, though I've had other people tell me that they did, so maybe I have and just didn't recognize them? [​IMG] Silver is a recessive color, so you might get lucky that some of your browns are carriers and get it that way, otherwise you'd need a silver bird to cross to regular brown, then cross the offspring back to the silver bird (or to each other).

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There is no Red Tibetan. There is a Tibetan...Now there is a lighter British Range that is redder in color. You can breed a Tibetan (which is really a Dark range) and an English and you can get the redder colors. Other than that there really is no other way, other than purchasing the color alone.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:??? EVER HEAR OF ROSETTA? OTHERWISE KNOWN AS RED TIBETAN?

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:??? EVER HEAR OF ROSETTA? OTHERWISE KNOWN AS RED TIBETAN?

Rosetta is rosetta; red tibetan is red tibetan. They are very different looking colors, and they are not british range as stated by the other poster. I don't know all the 'range' names, but I do know there are at least 4 different tibetan colors: dark tibetan, rosetta tibetan, british range tibetan, and red tibetan....there are probably more than that, these are the ones I know of.
    To the quailladyoffortmyers: I don't know if by english you mean english white, but if you breed an english white to a tibetan of any color, you will get tuxedos, not a lighter color of the original. [​IMG]

Pics in a sec as soon as I load my photobucket [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This is a red tibetan (non-tuxedo in front, tuxedo in back, both red):
    [​IMG]

These are dark tibetan:

Dark tibetan tuxedo in front, red tibetan tuxedo behind, dark tibetan non-tuxedo in the very back, red tibetan non-tuxedo on far right:
    [​IMG]

Another comparison between dark and red tibetan:
    [​IMG]

More dark tibetans:
    [​IMG]

Rosettas:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Golden range:
    [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008