How to give hen back her eggs?

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
I have two silkie hens that aren't broody or anything. They currently have golf balls in the nesting boxes. I've been taking the eggs (putting them in bator) and I have 21 eggs that should hatch a day after each other.

I would LOVE, ideally, for the hens to take care of them.

Do I take the golf balls out one day and pop in newborn chicks? Or can I bring out the eggs when they are pipping?

What to do?

I would not bother the eggs once they go past 18 days. I would think you are safe slipping chicks under the hens. I've been told that waitng until night is best.

I've been taking the eggs (putting them in bator) and I have 21 eggs that should hatch a day after each other.

This isn't a great idea.

Better is to not raise the temperature to incubate until you have the complete batch ready. The eggs need different conditions during incubation, and you can't provide ideal conditions for a bunch of eggs all at different stages.

To save eggs .... place them in an egg tray and keep them cool (55 to 60F). Turn the tray twice a day, and keep the humidity at 50.

Eggs will remain fertile for about a week, and you wouldn't lose many waiting 10 days.

It would be better to try to raise 2 batches of 10, than to add eggs to an incubator every day.​

Well, this is my first time, sooooo, so far 21 eggs all from different days (sometimes got 2 from same day) and all are alive as of last check! LOL, you live and learn!

And I have my first pip! And I heard a muffled chirp possibly from another one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom