how to go about candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jazzchicken, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    I am going to candle my eggs in a couple of days, and I was wondering how to do it.

2. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    You can go to the learning center and find some info on it. I just use a strong flashlight in the dark.

3. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks karri. Can't you hold the egg in your hand and shine a good flashlight through it??

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can do that, but use a strong LED flashlight. OR, do what I do and use an old slide projector with a "donut" cushion for the egg to sit on.

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We cut a hole out of a coffee can and placed it over a light bulb. the light bulb gets hot so you only get to look for a few seconds.

6. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I use the coffee can but with a good flash light.

7. Hi!
    I use a home-made coffee-can candler with the highest wattage flourescent bulb I could find.

I get sooo tickled that people visiting (after they visit the bathroom where the candler lives on the back of the toilet) ask what *that's* for).
    The birds are mostly down-yonder.
    I explain (when anyone asks), that I sell eggs for hatching and eating and I candle every single egg for imperfections (and 'stuff') so no one gets a bad egg.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by