how to go about putting shipped eggs under a broody

silkies4penny

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
Fayetteville, WV
I just got 2 dozen shipped eggs in today, they are resting now. I have one lonely hen who went broody about 4 days ago. she is sitting on 2 of her own (unfertilized) eggs. What is going to be the best way to slip my shipped eggs under her? I was going to put about 10 under the hen and the rest in my incubator. She has the whole coop to herself so do I need to move her to a warmer place, or just leave her be? She ranomly made her nest in the middle of the coop, not in a nest box. she is close to food and water so she doesnt have to come out. Im just worried about her being able to keep them warm enough in the cold weather. any advice?

I just got 2 dozen shipped eggs in today, they are resting now. I have one lonely hen who went broody about 4 days ago. she is sitting on 2 of her own (unfertilized) eggs. What is going to be the best way to slip my shipped eggs under her? I was going to put about 10 under the hen and the rest in my incubator. She has the whole coop to herself so do I need to move her to a warmer place, or just leave her be? She ranomly made her nest in the middle of the coop, not in a nest box. she is close to food and water so she doesnt have to come out. Im just worried about her being able to keep them warm enough in the cold weather. any advice?

If she is out of the wind and rain, she should be fine. If she would bite you go ahead and slip those babies under her and grab those infertile ones while you're there. If she's too mean, you can do it at night.

she has been nothing but wonderful so far. She is a silkie after all:) As far as being a bantam breed, how many could I get away with putting under her?

Back
Top Bottom