How to groom a dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 28, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have a little shih tzu and she is a mess. We gave her a bath the other day so she's all nice and clean, but her hair is getting so long and all the local groomers are booked for a couple weeks! i really want to give her a full body hair cut, but i don't know how to do it. any suggestions?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    is she matted?

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    no we keep her brushed but her hair is just growing so long! its all in her eyes and she gets really hot quite easily.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    honestly, in my opinion, if you have no experience, I would pick up one of those pet clipper sets you can get at the pet store or walmart. Make sure it has the combs, just like the people ones. Just pick a length and go slowly (I have noticed the blades don't work as well as my professional ones). Be extremely careful around the head/face, especially the ears making sure you are FLAT on the ears. Of course this is only if you want a puppy type cut....

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thank you so much. but yeah, we always stick with the puppy cut, she has never had the long shih tzu coat. we got her when i was little, she's just the family dog.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    usually when I groom we cut the fur first to decrease drying time, but it wears your blade down quicker, but time is money [​IMG] . I would wash her first, JMO since the quality of the *pet owner* clippers aren't the same. Duller blades tend to pull on the hair, which makes for an uncomfortable dog. Again, be very careful on the ears since they can fall between the comb and be cut easily. Pm me if you need anything else, I will try to help you best I can [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  8. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Just book her an appiontment at the groomers. If you do it at home you more likely to injure her, because you dont know where the tender/easily nicked spots are especially around her eyes and mouth.

If you insist on doing it get the good clippers that the groomers use the walmart ones suck.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:my clippers cost me hundreds of dollars.....with combs, blades, etc.
    I used the cheap ones when I was in between moving for my sister (she had the cheap ones, well the most expensive cheap ones) and they worked fine.....

grooming isn't rocket science, but it is a lot of work. If you are careful and your dog is well behaved then it is doable. I have shown plenty of friends how to do it....

eta- yes, a professional that has experience would be best, but I would rather someone have the info if they are going to do it anyway. I have had animals come into my shop that someone at home tried to demat and ended up cutting the animal.........

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  10. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    ITs worth a try if she will let you . I would take her to the groomer if she is uncoopertive though. And I am a dog goomer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by