How to hadle the heat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wowdaddy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. wowdaddy

wowdaddy New Egg

Oct 2, 2008
    I't above 100 degrees today and i was wandering what i can do to help the hens in this heat. I am giving them Ice in their water and they have shade in the coop but what else can I do?

2. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    spray down the run with water, mist the hens, cold watermelon and cold cabbage is what I just did

3. wowdaddy

wowdaddy New Egg

Oct 2, 2008
    thank you. I live in sacramento and I think it is 104 today. Mist, Watermelon, cold cabbage. I have all that in my fridge. Thanks![​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    wowdaddy hello from another Sacramentoian!! [​IMG] It is toasty today isn't it? I am in south sacramento. What I do to help my girls is wet down the places they frequent most. I also have the bottom of a planter pot filled with water as a sort of 'wading pool' for them. They love walking through it. Chickens are like dogs and stay cool through the bottoms of their feet, so if the ground they walk on is cool, they should feel better. Another thing you can do is take a few soda bottles, fill with water, freeze them and put them in your run so your chickens can lay against them. I take the top off the bottle so the excess water can drain out and keep the ground nice and cool. Good luck!

-Morgan, Munk and Joon in Sacramento

5. HeidiG

HeidiG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hampton, VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by