1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to handle a new mom and her 4 chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jul 15, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    My year old hen just hatched her 1st 4 chicks! YEAH! She is a free-roamer in the yard and I was wondering is there anything special I need to do for them or just let nature take it's course? [​IMG] Our yard is VERY well covered from predators and so far the other free-roaming chickens are doing fine around the babies. Just wanted to know if I needed to do anything.

Thanks for all comments! [​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nope...just sit and watch the fun! [​IMG]

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Just make sure you provide chick feed and water for the babies. I would also watch them closely to make sure none of the other chickens are being aggressive toward the babies. It can occasionally happen that they will attack the babies. Congrats!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be sure the chicks are not eating any of the layer feed, as it is quite harmful to young chicks. You could raise it high enough so the chicks can't reach it, but that won't last too long. I've been feeding my mixed age flock grower or flock raiser for quite a while now; I never buy layer any more. Oyster shell is offered separately, and I have never seen a chick (or a roo) pay any attention to it. I do buy more oyster shell than I used to, but at a few bucks a bag and 2 or 3 bags a year it's not a big deal. My mamas are silly enough to offer chicks layer feed.

Other than that, mamas usually do a fine job of managing the chicks. And they are a pleasure to watch!

5. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Thanks for the replies back. I have some medicated feed out there for them. She has access to layer and scratch(about 2x a day for the scratch). I guess I will just watch from the sidelines!

And the other chickens and rooster seem to be doing fine. I have watched them interact and so far nobody has shown aggression. More curiosity. But I will continue to keep my eye out.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    My Cuckoo Maran is very protective of her peeps. When they first hatch (she uses the hay stack) they are kept on that side of the barn for about 3 days. I just place a long wooden box full of hay by food and water where she can see it and she will move them into that for the first few days. Then when she decides to eat with the other chickens I move the box to the chicken area and she seems to know it's there. She likes to raise hers free ranging and takes them everywhere but they always come back to the barn to eat/sleep. The rooster and other hens stay away as she is fierce to them. She will raise them to2 mos old and then starts pecking them to stay away from her feed and they get hint that momma does not want them anymore and leave her be and since she raised them amongst the flock they are integrated. I really take my cues as to what she/they need and just provide. This was her last batch. The hay was all fed up and she sure let me know about that. Well this week 5 ton of hay was put up and she has been one happy girl.. I see peeps in my future.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by