How to handle baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kheinrich, May 8, 2019.

1. Kheinrich

Kheinrich In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2018
    I got new babies about 5 days ago. I try my best spend a lot of time with them by talking and putting my hand in the brooder. Should I be holding each chicken even if they don’t like it or should I let them come to me with food in my hand? I want them to like being held and get used to me

2. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I let them come to my hand, then I’ll scoop them up under the breast. I’ll hold them up to my chest, where they usually climb on my shoulder. I always talk to them. Just walking by I’ll say hi babies. What breed/s do you have?

3. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    I've been doing pretty much the same thing, only I also encourage them to come to my hand by hand-feeding treats a couple times a day. I also call to them when I offer the treats to train them to my voice.

Once they got used to my hand, all I had to do was place it under their breasts and gently lift. After a week or so, most would just step onto my hand when I did this.

Now, after almost 4 weeks, they come when I call and if I open up the brooder, they fly up to the edge to greet me. Some will fly all the way up to perch on my arms or shoulder. A couple have even made it all the way to my head. :lau Just the past few days, the ones that aren't comfortable flying that far have started peeping at me until I reach down and offer them a hand. They hop right up. :love

I have a variety of breeds, that ranged from about 5 days to 2 weeks old when I got them. I noticed that most remained skittish until they hit about 3-4 weeks of age, at which point they started to become cuddly.

BeccaDoe and tpatricco like this.
  4. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Takes a little while to get used to the big ass giant reaching in from above.:lau

noregerts, tpatricco and ZooAtHome like this.
  5. Kheinrich

Kheinrich In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2018
    Silkies and Cochins. The older silkies from last year outside run away from me

6. Kheinrich

Kheinrich In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2018
    What kind of treats? Wet food? Hard boiled eggs? I’m lost, they won’t eat out of my hand

7. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    I no longer feed hard-boiled or scrambled eggs by hand, for fear of losing a finger, but that is what I started with. :lol: Since I've been feeding medicated crumble, I've offered Scratch & Peck feed as a "treat" because they love it and it is still nutritionally complete. However, we are almost out of the crumbles, which means I will be offering the Scratch & Peck as their standard diet, so I will probably switch over to scratch or some other treat mix for hand-fed treats. I've also offered apple, zucchini, mealworms, and probably a couple other things I've forgotten, with mixed response. Having trained them with the egg, which they go bonkers for, they will readily investigate anything I offer them by hand, but they don't always get excited over it once they see it isn't egg.

Try scrambled eggs instead of hard-boiled and offer them while they are still a bit warm (but make sure they are not HOT). The eggs give off more scent when warm and my girls know what I have as soon as I walk into the room. It might encourage yours to give them a taste. Once they taste it, I doubt you'll have any trouble getting them to come back for more. At least, that's how it was for me. The first time they were hesitant, but they quickly got over their fear after getting a few bites.

Kheinrich and tpatricco like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: