How to hatch muscovy eggs with my incubator, and some other questions

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
It is the Little Giant Still Air Incubator. No automatic turner, no fan. I read reviews on it, and they were good except I shouldn't use the included thermometer. But buying a thermometer is easy enough.

Now onto the purpose of it. I know Muscovies are unique in basically every way possible. I heard on this article written by yinepu that their humidity needs to be lower then everyone else. What exact % should that be? How often per day do the eggs need to be turned? Should I buy an automatic turner? My fall work schedule is around 6-4:30 and I have weekends off. In the winter my schedule is around 6-6 and in spring (the incubation period most likely) my schedule is around 6-6:30. I get up around 3:45 and go to bed around 9:30. And lastly, what is a good hatch rate for shipped muscovies? Could you recommend a place that sells Muscovy eggs for a decent price and hatches well. The only places I have found are Mcmurray and country hatchery.

Now some odds-and-ends to finish up. Muscovies are not the only other breeds I'm getting this spring. I'm planning to get 2 Blue Swedish, 2 Rouens, 1 Blue Runner, and 2 Welsh Harlequin (all females), and 1 pair of Buff Geese. Will my Muscovies (I'm assuming around 3-4) get along with these guys fine? And one last question, that has nothing to do with Muscovies. I heard geese get aggressive during mating season. Will the female and/or the male goose turn on their friends during that time. Their friends are these ducks that have been raised with them since childhood: 1 pair of Khaki Campbells and Buffs. 2 Rouen drakes. 2 Pekin ducks. 1 Blue Indian Runner duck. My situation is worse because I have one of the meanest breeds around with an African.

Last edited:
Wow, you have alot going on!!
lol.png

Some of the answers to your questions will be up to the ducks and geese themselves. There can be aggression, though, during mating season. We all need to watch for these behaviors and be ready to separate if needed. So just planning for a way to divide space is helpful.

Right now I effectively have three flocks - the Runners and Romy, The Coffee Buffs, and The Broody Brigade. It's working. I would love to have Just One Flock. haha.

More answers (since I know nothing about hatching Muscovies) is this, from the stickies.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

Gotta go do duck dooty.

frow.gif

Wow, you have alot going on!!
lol.png

Some of the answers to your questions will be up to the ducks and geese themselves. There can be aggression, though, during mating season. We all need to watch for these behaviors and be ready to separate if needed. So just planning for a way to divide space is helpful.

Right now I effectively have three flocks - the Runners and Romy, The Coffee Buffs, and The Broody Brigade. It's working. I would love to have Just One Flock. haha.

More answers (since I know nothing about hatching Muscovies) is this, from the stickies.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

Gotta go do duck dooty.

frow.gif
I read that article cover to cover before I posted here.

Excellent! So many don't realize there are Stickies.

There is the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today, where hatchers hang out.

When it comes to combining breeds in a flock, I am cautious about larger drakes and smaller ducks, there can be injuries and even fatalities, in the worst cases.

We don't have geese, so I am no help there.

Back
Top Bottom