how to hatch with a home made bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Double Kindness, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    My ladies are all coming into lay, easter eggers and ameracunas, and one polish and one rose comb leghorn.

Lenny is a semi-quieted rooster that is salmon favorelle x wellsummer x light brahma and has been getting it on well with my 9 lady chickens.

I was wanting to try to hatch them out, but since I'm getting just an egg a day atm, as 1 ameracuna isn't laying atm and 1 just started, but I see that her eggs are fertilized.

How should I go about doing this just one or 2 egg at a time? I'm getting the brooder ready atm for some ayum cemani hopefully very soon, as they are in my friends bator... and she didn't know what to do with the extras... and I was like I'll certainly take them!!

She has 10 more to set after these 16. I don’t think I need to invest in a bator quite yet, and have no broody hens.

How have ppl successfully done something like this, small hatching home made incubators? I don't want to mess up any rare eggs, but surely the eggs from my current flock would possibly bear interesting results?

2. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I made a homemade incubator from a Styrofoam cooler. I know the first hatch rate is pretty low. We put 6 in there at day 10 we will candle and throw away any who aren't developing, with blood rings, etc. We are only on day 2. I plan on having 3 hatch, but we shall see. You can collect eggs over 10 days. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  4. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    Thanks! I will click on that link!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by