How to heat mealworm farm?

JCinNM

Songster
Oct 22, 2020
SE NM (desert)
So in all my mealworm research I’ve learned that you get MANY more mealworms in 1/2 to 1/4 of the time if the colony is kept 77-82 degrees and 70% humidity. Yes, I know you can raise them at room temp but that means it would take 6 months before harvesting the first full sized mealworms. I want to know how you guys heat and humidify them! Help

ETA I am using 6 drawer system.

I stand mine on the boiler (what I think is called a furnace in American English - the business bit of the central heating system). Works a treat, and brings it up to eye level, so win-win :D Takes about 6 weeks to get full grown mealworms.

I agree with the seed mat idea. I use it for my red wriggler bin. I stick the temp gage to the depth I want the heat to travel. Obviously, I put the mat right on the bedding as the tub is so deep. But under would work great for your mealworms, just would need to figure out where you would want the temp gage to go. In the substrate I would assume, sticking it to the side of the bin would mean the bedding would get very hot if you set the temp too high. If you do have the seed mat gage sitck to the sides of the bin, I also recommend a compost temp gage for the substrate, so You know if the bedding is getting too hot. You will find the right temp eventually without too many accidents if you do it that way. ;)

I just realized you are using a drawer system. That adds extra complication, I would wrap the mat around your drawer tower and keep the temp gage as center in the tower as you can. The top drawers will never get as warm as the bottom if you put it under, and the same issue if you put it on top. Wrapped around the sides leaving the drawers free to open should work great. You can use simple rubberbands to keep it on the tower.

Thanks for your input @Dephora. Think I am going to build a ”cabinet” out of styrofoam insulation sheets. Since heat rises I plan to put the heat mat on the bottom. Then the drawers on short risers so they aren’t directly on the mat. Wet sponges for humidity. Perhaps use the fan off an old PC for ventilation and air circulation. If all this works then I maybe I can adapt it to something a little larger like a mini fridge or humidor.

If your in the desert, use nature's heat. Pop them outside. Perhaps in the shade so you get radiant heat only and keep them out of direct sunlight we're they plastic drawers would heat up too quickly. As for humidity, the sponges are a good idea. Sponges in a cup or tray of water is even better as they'll raise the humidity longer.

Back
Top Bottom