how to heat my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by danielab95, Mar 17, 2015.

1. danielab95

danielab95 In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    how can i heat my chick i had to separate them as they where getting attacked by the other ones and now i don't have a way of feeding them as i can't get to the shop they are closed right now to but another lamp i have tried using a normal lamp but i can make the light blob face down and the lamp shade isn't reflecting any heat down i am currently using a heat pack but its a bit hard when i have to keep reheating it and i will be going to bed soon i could not risk keeping the two chicks with the others over night as they killed one last night by jumping on it and picking it one of the chicks is 4 days old and the other is 6 days but they are a smaller bread then the rest and the rest are about a week

2. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chirping

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Would it be possible to put a divider in the brooder so that they're separated but still have equal access to heat?

3. danielab95

Mar 15, 2015
    I tried that they jump over it

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Songster

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    High high can a 4 day chick jump. Use a higher divider? Piece of cardboard, feed bag, bath towel...Come on man, think!!

1 person likes this.
  5. danielab95

Mar 15, 2015
    The week old and the week and half old jump it that's how they killed the other one I used card board didn't work they either get under or jump it

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Songster

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I see. You're got the right idea using the lamp. When I have a small hatch and don't feel like setting up the big brooders, or have a sick or weak chick, I put them in a cardboard box and bend a goose neck desk lamp over the top of the box. I may have to cut a notch in the side of the box for the lamp to lower enough.
    Maybe you can try something like that with your lamp.

7. danielab95

Mar 15, 2015
    Ok thank you I also put a hot water bottle on the side of the cardboard box now they are asleep and I think they are warm enough as they are sleeping apart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: