How to help a depressed silkie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Silkielover1104, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Silkielover1104

Silkielover1104 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Exeter, New Hampshire
    I have one depressed silkie, At first I thought she was Broody. But she is showing signs of depression. We got a new chick 4 weeks ago and another one of our hens has become mama hen to this chick. Our white silkie is spending most of her day in the coop, drooped wings, head down, she comes out for a little while in the morning to eat but then goes back in the coop. My white silkie and this other hen are like sisters and now that the chick is here the other hen is not paying so much attention to my white silkie. My white silkie was my best layer and now she is not laying at all. She is not sick, just very down in the dumps. How do you help a depressed chicken?????

UPDATE: Not sure if she could be sick. She is not acting sick to me. She is coming out of the pen eating and drinking, running around the yard. clucking a lot. She will stay out for about an hour. She is eating strawberries, tomatoes, bread, plus her feed. She has stopped laying eggs it has been a week. I brought her in the house today thinking that she just needs more one on one attention. she has been fine in the house walking around talking to us, coming when we call her name. going in and out of her pen that we set up for her, pooping all over my floors. LOL!!! She is leaving big poops out side, they look normal not wet or runny, no signs of worms. I gave her a bath last week to get the dirt off of her. She is white but she was black before the bath. I usually give her a bath every 2 months so she is use to them. I am not sure if these are signs of her being sick or depressed... I don't know how to get her out of this rut. I really thought it was because of the new chick and she was "odd man out" but now not sure. She is my best layer and stopped laying once we put the chick in the pen full time...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your silkie! Hope you can get her restored!

4. Silkielover1104

Jul 23, 2014
    Exeter, New Hampshire
    Hi saw that u where on... I am not she what is going on with my little girl. she seems to act depressed since we put the chick into the pen. She was my best layer and she hasn't layed in a week. She comes out if the pen every morning eats, runs around the yard for about an hour, clucks goes about her business then back into the coop and stays there all day and night unless I take her back out. she just lays there. head down, wings drooped. like she is "down in the dumps" Her poop seems fine. formed no watery stool no worms, she is eating and drinking fine, she is eating bread,strawberries, and tomatos which she was eating before. she is just "odd man out" right now. I brought her in the house today she is walking around the house acting fine talking to me following me around, coming when you call her, going in and out of her pen that she has, pooping on my floor. I thought maybe a little time with us would do her good. We have hand raised her since she was 2 months old. I am trying to get her out of this rut she is in but I don't know how. I feel so bad. what do you do with a depressed silkie????

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you are giving her too much fruit. I don't know if it's an old wives tale or not but, I have read if hens get too much fruit they stop laying. You might try skipping the fruit and not overdoing treats and see if thing change.

6. Silkielover1104

Jul 23, 2014
    Exeter, New Hampshire
    I didn't think of that. I have had a lot of people tell me that they give there chickens left over fruits and veggies everyday, so I figured it was ok. I had someone tell me to try her on Duramycin-10 for 5 days to see if that helps her. Do you know anything about this. I have been trying to look it up to see what it is used for but no luck. We have a chick that is 11 weeks and if this a antibiotic of some type i am wondering if it will help her. at about 8 weeks her eye swelled shut and it is still swollen shut. i can force it open but she can't keep it open wondering if it is infected. there is no drainage or crustyness on the eye she just can't open it.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by