How to help a dog with hip dysplasia?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, May 14, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My 2 year old beagle/sheperd/boxer mix named penny has bad hips. She has ever since she was proble 5 months old. Alot of times she limps and holds her back leg up. Whenever this happens I always try to rub her hips. It usually helps her. Is there anything that I can do to make her comfortable? I have talked to the vet about her hips and he said to get x-rays. Except the x-rays are really expensive. Tonight I was rubbing her hips for her and I could feel her hip jerk. Like it came out of its socket. Is heat good for her hips? Or cold? Thanks.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure it's her hips? Does she always hold up the same leg? Does she have trouble getting up? I would pay for the x-rays to see what exactly is going on in there. If she always holds up the same leg she could also have a torn cruciate ligament in the knee.
    But again, I'd have the x-rays done and discuss with your vet the best management for her. If she's dysplastic already at her young age it's going to be a long road and she'll need medication to stay reasonably comfortable. A torn ligament on the other hand is fixable though pricey.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would really get the x-rays done. At least this way you'll know whether she has HD or something else going wrong. Get her started on some supplements. This is a great supplement http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WP9P3PDKNBFRJTZEZPT as well as Cosequin, etc.

No forced running (running after a ball, frisbee, etc). No running on hard surfaces. Running by herself on grass, or soft surfaces in fine. Try to limit her jumping. Swimming is wonderful for dogs with HD.

I would get the x-rays done and send them in to OFA for a second opinion. I had my 14 month old Golden Retrievers hips done when she was spayed and the vet said it looked like she had mild HD, sent to OFA and the results came back good/normal hips. The xrays were $60 and the ofa submission was $40.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am pretty sure it is her hips. Whenever she runs she has a hop to her rear legs. I have never noticed her having trouble getting up. I know whenever she goes for walks I can hear a click coming from her hips. It isnt always the same leg she holds up.

Thanks again.

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

My 2 year old beagle/sheperd/boxer mix named penny has bad hips. She has ever since she was proble 5 months old. Alot of times she limps and holds her back leg up. Whenever this happens I always try to rub her hips. It usually helps her. Is there anything that I can do to make her comfortable? I have talked to the vet about her hips and he said to get x-rays. Except the x-rays are really expensive. Tonight I was rubbing her hips for her and I could feel her hip jerk. Like it came out of its socket. Is heat good for her hips? Or cold? Thanks.

I am so sorry your dog is dealing with this, and you as well. [​IMG] Makes me so sad for you both.

I have to say though...while you may be looking for alternative therapies..you NEED to take your dog in. Hips and other skeletal issues can be incredibly painful for the dog. Not getting proper diagnosis and treatment is neglectful and can be abusive if allowed to go on long enough. Please get your dog to the Vet or consider alternatives such as re-homing, because your budget doesn't allow for expensive Vet treatment. Hip issues are only really expensive if your dog requires surgery, if you get the Xrays done, the Vet will perscribe a pain killer/anti-imflammatory drug and also suggest some joint supplements.

I hope you do get a diagnosis so you can start treating her. I fear she's going to continue to go down hill and she'll just be miserable. I wish you the very best! [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Jamie said. Sadly enough such conditionsare generally progressive and corrective surgery or euthanasia may be your only recourse. My daughter just had one hip done on of all things a pug-- the other hip will have to be done eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by