How to help an underweight chicken ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Magapoule, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Magapoule

Magapoule Chirping

Jul 16, 2019
    Canada, Quebec
    Hi, last Saturday I took in a chicken because she wasn’t able to walk and where she was they were not helping here so she was dying slowly...The lady told me that it was a vitamin deficiency, because where she was was reallyyyyyyy hot and that she wasn’t assimilating the food so she’s in a vitamin deficiency. She told me to give her some yeast and green clay, things that I did. Her legs are a lot better, she just need a little bit of force to be able to stand up. I also give her Vitamin B complex. But my question here is that, as she doesn’t eat very well by her own she is losing weight. And now she is underweight. She is ~630g for a 2 months old leghorn. How can I help her to gain weight ? I’m feeding her with mash every day. Pictures of her evolution, pic 1 is when she arrives.Pic 3 is yesterday

Attached Files:

2. Farm life101

Farm life101 Songster

Jan 9, 2018
    Florida
    can she stand?

3. Magapoule

Magapoule Chirping

Jul 16, 2019
    Canada, Quebec
    No not yet, she needs like a little bit of help (looks like she is not enough strong to stand up)

4. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Give her a warm mash of 24% chick grower and oatmeal. You can also give her scrambled eggs. Put vitamins in her water. She looks ill to me, but maybe with food she likes she will get better??? I hope so. :confused: I'm hoping for the best!!

ChickNanny13 and Magapoule like this.
  5. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Drizzle some yogurt on her feed, not a lot, as they don't digest it well, but she'll still get the probiotics that will help her gut-bacteria (making it easier for her to digest her other food). I'd put corid (for coccidiosis) in her only water source, since the disease takes advantage of birds that have a compromised immune system (like vitamin deficiencies can bring on), BUT while treating her for coccidiosis do NOT give her supplements containing Vitamin B-1. Corid works by mimicking B-1, which coccidia need to survive. No Vitamin B-1, and the parasite dies off. Treating for coccidiosis will not harm her in any way, even if she's not suffering from the disease, and since the results of NOT treating for it if she is afflicted are so dire, it's best to err on the side of caution. Resume supplementing Vitamin B-1 after the full course of corid treatment. She's VERY pale, which is what's got me thinking about parasites. Have you checked her for mites & lice? To check for mites & lice, while holding a white wash cloth or wearing light colored gloves, ruffle the bottom side of her tail feathers and under her wings. You should get some dirt on the gloves or cloth. Is the dirt moving? There are several vitamin & mineral supplements that can be added to her water (after she's been wormed), available at feed stores. Non-medicated chick starter is a good idea too, higher protein :) And as Peppercorngal mentions, scrambled eggs (or hard boiled); they're perfect food for chickens... I mean... eggs were their very first meal with good reason. You can also 'drizzle' raw egg on her chicken feed.

ChickNanny13 and Magapoule like this.
  6. Magapoule

Magapoule Chirping

Jul 16, 2019
    Canada, Quebec
    She doesn’t have lice, but mites I don’t know. I’ll try ! Thanks !

7. Magapoule

Magapoule Chirping

Jul 16, 2019
    Canada, Quebec
    Can I give her diatemaceous Earth for the parasites ?(in her food)

8. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Won't cure her if she's got coccidiosis.

9. Diatomaceous earth is pretty much useless. If she has parasites she needs a real wormer. I second giving her eggs for nourishment. My little runt is doing well with some egg every other day or so in addition to crumble.

Magapoule and Tycine1 like this.
  10. Magapoule

Magapoule Chirping

Jul 16, 2019
    Canada, Quebec
    UPDATE....she is full of lice or mites I don’t know what am I supposed to do:hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: