How to help Duck with swollen Hock and 3 rounds of antibiotic already?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mikeru, Dec 14, 2014.

1. mikeru

mikeru Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Does a naicin deficency still apply here , has anyone used glucosamine on the food for lubricating joint? Help 4yrs old ,and very alet and smart.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Niacin is primarily, from what I read, important during development. Afterward there is some benefit, but I don't think as much. You could try some supplementation. But if the duck is getting some worms and grubs and such, then there is already niacin in the diet.

I just looked into some of this recently - let me see if I can find that thread.

Here is what I posted there

Okay, I can tell you a bit about arthritis and sepsis from The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook.

From the section on arthritis, Link writes that some treatment options include CosaminDS, NSAIDs occasionally, Adequan (for early cases), Legend -requires general anesthesia. You might want to look into these, and then educate a vet about these options.

Under Staph Infection, treatment includes the vet aspirating a sample of pus from the swollen joint and sending it to a lab for susceptibility testing (to determine which antibiotic would be best).

Adequan may prevent permanent joint damage.

Tricide or Tricide Neo may be used by the vet to flush the joint - this is part of the surgical approach, if that is taken.

the thread is https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941161/duck-with-septic-arthritis-and-runny-nose

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  3. mikeru

mikeru Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Thanks I am going to take her to another vet for a 2nd opinion. She really doesn't move she grooms,eats baths,the leg hock is very enlarged.she has been on baytril ,and sometimes carprofen an antiflammatory. she started in september with antibiotic

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please let us know when you learn anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by