How to help feathers grow back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wanttobefarmer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Is there anything I can do to help the feathers on this 3 month old Roo grow back? I just bought him. You can see in the pic but actually it is his whole back. His wings are covering it up but if you pull his wings out he is completely plucked.[​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I suggest increasing his protein intake. Also, dust him for lice just in case. If he has any they will eat the new feathers as soon as they start to come out. It can't hurt.

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Quote:what should I dust him with? DE?

4. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    yep, DE will take care of whatever mites might be there.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello- I've read that if the feather shaft is still in the skin, then the new feather won't grow until the next molt. But if there are no feather shafts, it should grow in sooner. I use Sevin Dust for any mites or lice....once I brought home a breeding pair of Ameraucanas from a poultry show, and I was so angry because they were covered in mites. So that's how I treated them, and it took care of those mites very quickly. I think you repeat after a week.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    we used a pet and garden pyrethrin that we got at the feed store, and yes 7-10 days repeat for any eggs that have hatched.
    We also have a DE dust bath mixed with yellow sand. They seem to really enjoy that.
    I hope he feathers out nicely and quickly! [​IMG]

7. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Actually that looks like a hen that got bred to much and when the roosters mates her his feet keep raking her feathers and braking them off.

8. TRChickenRanch

TRChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Chicken farmer, if it is from the hen being bred too much what can you do to help the hens get their feathers back. I have several hens that have that problem. They didn't grow back after their molt. Now I'm worried cause they are still bare backed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by