How to help hen gain weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Chickita, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I have some hens who needs to put on some weight. The vet diagnosed one with worms and now they all are recovering after finising their wormer. I'd really like to see them pu ton some weight, though. Does anyone have any advice for helping a flock of 20?

Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi! Boil their eggs and chop them up and feed the yolks back to them. Lots of protein. A friend of mine gives her chickens her stale bread in the fall to fatten them up for winter.

If you can buy them some meal worms, they would love those.....Table scraps would fatten them up, but often aren't good for them.

Sharon

3. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Thanks!! I wasn't sure about feeding them their eggs since they just stopped their wormer treatment a week ago. Do you know if that's safe?

I've used mealworms before. They love them!! They are pretty expensive, though. I keep meaning to start mealworm farming. I wish I had done so already. Thank you!!

Any other advice?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Baloney... Probably not good for them, but was gifted a huge log of baloney and I hate it, so they ate it over a month and a half. Some show definite weight gain. :oops: ETA: Plus I am very popular amongst the girls :gig [​IMG] Especially this one.. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. Chicken Chickita

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    She's a cutie. I bet being spoiled a little with some junk food is just fine with her. :) Maybe I'll try some turkey for protein. I think I have some ground turkey. I think a little non-traditional food in the short run might be a good thing.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

No harm in feeding them meat. It has tons of protein, and it definitely does fatten them up.

Good luck. I hope your chickens feel better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by