How to help. I think chick is backwards.

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
UPDATE: It made it out!! :) Zipped diagonally. Took a total of 29 hours from pip to hatch! Talk about an exercise in patience!! But thanks to this page I was able to chill long enough until the chick worked it out for itself! Thank you all! I'll try to add a picture of how the zip looked.

It has a good size pip, has had for 24 hours now and hasn't changed much. Pip was near bottom. I had someone help me tilt the lid up, blew steam across the opening while I rotated the egg a bit. It looks by the beak orientation that the head is in the narrow end of the egg. I think I'm seeing the egg tooth. It has 2 large slits in the membrane so it can breathe, but I'm very concerned it needs out. I have no idea if it's malpositioned besides being backwards. First pip was day 20, this is day 21. Should I help, or give it additional time still? and would anybody be able to tell me what to do? I'm including pictures. I also have a video if that would be of any more help. I've read the hatching assist article, but I'm still not sure what to do.
Thank you!!!
IMG_20220915_083602908[1].jpg
IMG_20220916_084422041[1].jpg

Last edited:
It has a good size pip, has had for 24 hours now and hasn't changed much. Pip was near bottom. I had someone help me tilt the lid up, blew steam across the opening while I rotated the egg a bit. It looks by the beak orientation that the head is in the narrow end of the egg. I think I'm seeing the egg tooth. It has 2 large slits in the membrane so it can breathe, but I'm very concerned it needs out. I have no idea if it's malpositioned besides being backwards. First pip was day 20, this is day 21. Should I help, or give it additional time still? and would anybody be able to tell me what to do? I'm including pictures. I also have a video if that would be of any more help. I've read the hatching assist article, but I'm still not sure what to do.
Thank you!!!View attachment 3261808View attachment 3261809
My main concern is the length of time since pip and the fact that it looks backwards, and I'm concerned it doesn't have the ability to unzip. Another chick pipped 7 hours after it and has been out for a couple hours now. I've been told the chick is waiting longer because of the blood vessels there since it's is not in the aircell, it may just take longer to absorb the blood vessels before it unzips?? Day 21 time is 10 pm tonight.

@Kiki
@chicklover_3221

I am sorry to hear of this, it must be frightfully anxious to wait and not know. I have no insight, but the two above have given knowledgeable answers to others, so I have tagged them.

My thoughts are with you. :hugs
Thank you so very much for tagging experienced people. The chick made it out!! Yay! All is well. Took a total of 29 hours from first pip to final hatch! Thank you! Love this forum!

UPDATE: It made it out!! :) Zipped diagonally. Took a total of 29 hours from pip to hatch! Talk about an exercise in patience!! But thanks to this page I was able to chill long enough until the chick worked it out for itself! Thank you all! I'll try to add a picture of how the zip looked.

Thank you!!!View attachment 3261808View attachment 3261809
More pictures! Here are a few more pictures of this particular hatch, zipping diagonally, with the chick's head at the wrong end and not in the aircell.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_123608909.jpg
    IMG_20220916_123608909.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220922-133815~2.png
    Screenshot_20220922-133815~2.png
    884.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220922-133846.png
    Screenshot_20220922-133846.png
    518.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220918_193212328~2.jpg
    IMG_20220918_193212328~2.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 6
More pictures! Here are a few more pictures of this particular hatch, zipping diagonally, with the chick's head at the wrong end and not in the aircell.
Excellant news!
The reason why the chick took longer than usual is because it skipped the internal pip and externally pipped away from the air cell. This means the external pip is actually both internal and external. So it takes longer for all to be absorbed.
Usually they're able to hatch themselves, even from this malposition.

Glad he made it okay! Absolutely adorable baby too btw!

Excellant news!
The reason why the chick took longer than usual is because it skipped the internal pip and externally pipped away from the air cell. This means the external pip is actually both internal and external. So it takes longer for all to be absorbed.
Usually they're able to hatch themselves, even from this malposition.

Glad he made it okay! Absolutely adorable baby too btw!
Thank you!:)

Back
Top Bottom