How to help my flock quarantined chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PegasusAngel, Oct 14, 2013.

1. PegasusAngel

PegasusAngel New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    My Buff Orpington hen recently got lice. We treated, then had to retreat(after our two week follow up) and she's been in 'quarantine' by the other chickens in our flock. We have one rooster and six chickens. The chicken in question is Lapis Lasuli, she used to be head hen. However after she contracted lice it took me a while to figure out what was going on(I thought she was sick until I realised she had bugs on her). So we treated, followed up two weeks later. Then had to retreat and follow up again. All in all she had lice for almost two months(with breaks in between). She was quarantined around the time I realised that she was infested. Now that she's lice free, and has been for at least two months, she's still in 'quarantine'. It's not easy as she's fallen to the bottom of the pecking order. When she tries to land on the ground they literally chase her up to her roost again.

I feel terrible because I don't know if I should trade her off or how I can fix this mess. She's a good layer, kind to my children and very human friendly. I don't want to get rid of her because she's my favourite girl but I don't want her to suffer. Is there anything I can do to help her reintegrate into the flock?

Thanks,
    Angel

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    so, who is head hen now? lock her up for a couple days

3. PegasusAngel

PegasusAngel New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    Head hen is her sister Lauralee Leigh, she's the second Buff hen we had from our first batch. It's usually the rooster chasing her away from the flock. I was thinking of taking her out of their coop but I wasn't sure if that would cause more problems than just leaving her in there. On top of that I don't know where to put her if I take her out of their coop.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

I concur.

5. PegasusAngel

PegasusAngel New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    So even though it's the rooster running her off I should remove the head hen?

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Boot the ringleader bird that instigates the harrassment.

7. PegasusAngel

PegasusAngel New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Canada, Eh?
    Okay, thanks. That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to make it worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by