how to help my rooster

KidsandGuineas

Chirping
May 11, 2016
Grand Rapids MN
my hens are about 3 years old and I have introduced a rooster to the flock a few weeks ago. The thing is, my hens terrorize him(especially when he try's to jump on them). Also he has only crowed a few times, i think this is because he was not the dominate rooster in his old flock.
How can i help him to be a dominate rooster? how to teach my hens to be nice?

You really can't do anything but let their relations develop naturally. They need time to become more familiar with each other and for them to feel comfortable with each other which can take a few months.

You really can't do anything but let their relations develop naturally. They need time to become more familiar with each other and for them to feel comfortable with each other which can take a few months.

I agree, and him being put in his place, for the time being, can be helpful in teaching him some manners around the girls
smile.png
I introduced a brown leghorn cockerel to my flock when he was around 5 months old and he is still to be accepted by the whole flock - that was almost 3 months ago. Still waiting for fertile eggs
sad.png

I have an unrelated question I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread. I really need help, I think there is something wrong with my hen and I can't figure out what. I bought her a month or two ago and she was missing feathers on her back and her head near her beak and eyes i thought nothing of it at the time but I'm starting to get worried because she isn't growing the feathers back its completely bald there's nothing even sticking out from the area as if it was trying to grow feathers back I'm very worried

Hi Chelsea10897 - firstly, welcome to BYC. Not sure what the issue is (I have a couple of ideas, but I'd prefer to let the ER peeps answer your question) but here's how to post on the ER forum.

Click on this link, type a title and cut and paste the post that made here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

If you have any problems, just send me a PM (on the pull down menu, next to my username) and i will try to help further.

Regards
CT

I have an unrelated question I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread. I really need help, I think there is something wrong with my hen and I can't figure out what. I bought her a month or two ago and she was missing feathers on her back and her head near her beak and eyes i thought nothing of it at the time but I'm starting to get worried because she isn't growing the feathers back its completely bald there's nothing even sticking out from the area as if it was trying to grow feathers back I'm very worried
Sounds like feather wearing from being over mated by a rooster. How old is she? She should either completely molt before the end of the year or at least grow back her feathers before winter. There's still time and some can take up to December to do so.

Back
Top Bottom