How to help single goose integrate into duck flock

AnasKBS

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2017
We just got our first goose, a 4 week old Pilgrim. She was hand-raised, and clearly loves humans. But we want her to flock with our three ducks, and not just stand at the gate crying. Does anyone have any ideas about how to help her mix with an established group of three ducks?

When no humans are in sight she will follow the ducks. They mostly ignore her. But sometimes she just stands at the gate, trying to get back to the people.

You need to get another goose. A goose needs at least one member of its own species to be with. They are flock animals and ducks don't cut it, just like a chimpanzee wouldn't cut it for a human. Similar, but not at all the same. To keep a lone goose is cruel.

She will probably eventually start following the ducks around, but you need to get another goose to keep her company.

Well, I called the place where I got her, and they have already sold the other geese. So any suggestions of how to help her now?

Can you look around and see if you can find another goose elsewhere? Maybe check your local craigslist, post in your state thread here on BYC, etc? Metzer Hatchery is also still selling goslings, so worst case you could order some from there.

While it is not ideal to keep a solo goose with ducks, I've seen quite a few love affairs between duck/goose. It is certainly far from cruel to keep a solo goose with ducks. I've personally ran out to purchase ducklings to raise up when hatching a solo gosling, until I can later integrate gosling with my geese.

It is natural for a gosling to cry for whomever he/she has imprinted on when separated, and it takes a while to adjust. However, at four weeks old, your gosling is too young to integrate with adult ducks. If your trio of ducks are adults, then it is best to find her a companion of similar age. Goose is first choice. Juvenile duckling is alternative choice. If you wind up with a duckling, then stay on the hunt for a solo goose to ultimately give your gosling a companion of his/her own kind.

until I can later integrate gosling with my geese.

But that isn't keeping a solo goose with ducks alone, that's temporary...

OP, I would look and see if you can find another gosling around the same age to keep that one company, definitely isn't old enough to integrate with adults yet...

Having no luck with locating another goose. Wondering what is meant by 'too young to integrate'?

Back
Top Bottom