How to hide a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haileyeverhart, Apr 7, 2018.

1. haileyeverhart

haileyeverhart Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    Well I definitely have a cockerel on my hands, and I live in the suburbs. Has anyone hid a rooster before? And how did you do it?

Jan R, The Phantom, GracieJ and 2 others like this.
  2. starrmar006

starrmar006 Songster

Jan 10, 2017
    Western WA, USA
    I know to keep them from crowing online stores sell shock collars specifically made to keep a rooster from crowing. just a suggestion!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    In our freezer dunnno.gif ... If you live in a Rooster forbidden area, ask yourself if it is worth all the trouble you may or may not get into. smiley_emoticons_mttao_hut.gif Start making really good friends with your neighbors or sell the Cockerel on craigslist and use the money to buy a bag of feed for the rest of your flock.
    Or.. BBQ.. smiley_emoticons_mttao_grillen.gif

4. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Sorry but.. inhumane. I have to object to torturing of animals.
    smiley_emoticons_kilroy_sofa.gif

5. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Some people who can't keep roosters where they live buy chicken diapers and keep them as house roosters. I know I'd do that if I couldn't keep them. @BabyBoss has experience with house roos.

6. Trellinius

Trellinius Chirping

Mar 5, 2018
    No ideas on hiding a rooster - but if you have neighbors who cannot find joy and pleasure in the sound of a rooster crowing in the morning you have some pretty sorry neighbors and should look for a new neighborhood. City folks are so uptight, that's why stress, heart attacks and strokes, not to mention relationships struggles, are so prevalent . . . just tell your neighbors to chill and enjoy the finer things in life. If they are jealous, offer to buy them a rooster of their own. :old

7. haileyeverhart

haileyeverhart Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    So agree! I live in the northwest suburbs of Illinois but 10 minutes from sweet peaceful Wisconsin, wish I could move but sadly im only 18 and thats up to my parents :barnie

8. haileyeverhart

haileyeverhart Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    agreed, but i heard there are collars that just restrict their crowing too.

Izzychicky, Spartan22 and Anagram like this.
  9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I think hiding him on a nice farm where roosters are allowed is a good idea. That way he can crow to his heart's content and maybe have a nice little harem of hens, too. Those collars that restrict their crowing restrict it by limiting their air flow. They can also cause a rooster to choke on food if it gets bits that are too big to go past the collar. Inhumane, in my opinion. There are those who have successfully used it, and others who have accidentally choked their roosters to death with those collars.

How did you end up with this cockerel? Did he come from a feed store bin that supposedly had pullets? If so, maybe they'd take him back. Put an ad on Craig's list or in your local shopper paper if you have one. The problem with sneaking one under the wire is, if you are caught you will have to get rid of it anyway. You could also be jeopardizing your right and those of others to have chickens at all. The city may want to change the laws to not allow any chickens at all because of the people who wish to break the rules.

10. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Have a link?
    Never heard of a shock collar for a rooster.
    Maybe you're confusing no crow collars as shock collars?
    IMO restricting their air flow is cruel enough I can't image anyone thinking shocking them is a fiesable idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: