How to hold chicks

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
I raised 19 chicks ealier this year and have 6 more now. I'm curious how most people hold them. I always to support their legs and use my thumb and pointer from the other hand to very loosly go around their neck so they don't jump and keep my palm over their wings so they don't flap. I have a couple now they push really hard with there legs into my upper hand, shoving their wing joint into my fingers around their neck. If I cup them with 2 hands and don't support their legs, they cant push and only wiggle and shake their head. I'm quite gentle either way, but I'm curious which way is better.

Last edited:
I’m still catching my birds for the brooder at night at 8 weeks old. I hold them from both sides, I do this mostly for myself, since they almost always have poop on their feet, lol! They’re used to it by now, and knows to relax after being “claw machined” by me. I can also have them stand on my hand, then, with the other hand, I turn them to face me, this stops them from jumping off my hand. When I need to check the chicks for something, I’ll burrito them in a towel, lol.

The coop will finally be done tomorrow, thank goodness!

I transitioned to picking up my older birds with the "claw" to get them used to it. It made it easier to pick them up in the coop at night if they were sleeping somewhere I didn't want them.

I raised 19 chicks ealier this year and have 6 more now. I'm curious how most people hold them. I always to support their legs and use my thumb and pointer from the other hand to very loosly go around their neck so they don't jump and keep my palm over their wings so they don't flap. I have a couple now they push really hard with there legs into my upper hand, shoving their wing joint into my fingers around their neck. If I cup them with 2 hands and don't support their legs, they cant push and only wiggle and shake their head. I'm quite gentle either way, but I'm curious which way is better.
Your going to get all opinions but I have done both and think both are fine as long as you always just support and never squeeze too tight.

I just felt like a meanie yesterday. I have one Ameraucana that I could not keep a grip on. Fortunately she is a great flier at 2 weeks old. I gave up on holding her and will have to win her over with some treats. Right now they only touch their feed though.

I just felt like a meanie yesterday. I have one Ameraucana that I could not keep a grip on. Fortunately she is a great flier at 2 weeks old. I gave up on holding her and will have to win her over with some treats. Right now they only touch their feed though.
When she is big enough just break out the meal worms and bait her with those for a holding. She will settle down then for sure when they are close by. Mine go nuts for the red bag! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom