How to home pigeons.

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Brianlee543, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Brianlee543

Brianlee543 In the Brooder

May 14, 2019
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me here, I’m currently building myself a pigeon loft and am getting some adult pigeons, I was wondering how I could home them to the loft. I was thinking about leaving them in there for a few weeks and then letting them out? Any advise is appreciated, thanks

cavemanrich and biophiliac like this.
  2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    FIRST-what kind of pigeons?

cavemanrich, sourland and biophiliac like this.
  3. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Yes we can help. Adult birds need to be kept captive for awhile. Tell us more about your birds so we can give better advice. How many, ages, are there mated pairs? How far away do they come from? Size and description of loft? Do you have an aviary attached to the loft? Pictures would be helpful.:)

cavemanrich and backyard pigeons like this.
  4. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Tru dat!
    I was assuming HOMING PIGEONS. Fancies are much differenT.:)

cavemanrich and backyard pigeons like this.
  5. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    You will have better luck with very young homers. Adults birds of good quality will be gone as soon as you let them out; especially if only a few weeks/or even a few months in the new loft. This even happens when the homers have been locked in for several months and have nests with eggs.

Should you go with adult pairs plan on them being kept penned and use their young to release.

6. Brianlee543

May 14, 2019
    They are actually just a mishmash, I’m getting 3 of them from a animal rehabilitator who has had them after they’ve been found injured. And there are also a few coming from somone who no longer wants them.

Attached Files:

7. Brianlee543

May 14, 2019
    Ok, thank you, I hadn’t realised it was that complicated. I’m getting three of them from an animal rehabilitator who has had them in injured, and the rest are coming from someone who no longer wanted them.

Attached Files:

8. Brianlee543

May 14, 2019
    Three of them are from an animal rehabilitator who has had them in injured, and the others are coming from someone who no longer wants them.

Attached Files:

9. Brianlee543

May 14, 2019

biophiliac likes this.
  10. Brianlee543

May 14, 2019
    Three of them are from an animal rehabilitator who have come in injured, and the other side are from someone who no longer wants them.

Attached Files:

backyard pigeons and biophiliac like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: