1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to: Homemade feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dwdoc, Feb 9, 2011.

1. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
    This may be an odd question or may have already been posted... In the effort to become more self-relient - If I wanted to make my own home made feed what would I require? Interested in starter, grower, and layer and perhaps meat bird feed too. Thanks.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You're right - there have been dozens of threads on this already. Try searching for home-made feed or just browse the feeding and watering section for some great inspiration!

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    try the sufficient self forum,,tons of great info over there

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I have gone through many of these threads Not enough I am certain but where are your sources for the actual grains. Do you buy them at feed stores like... a bag of corn, a bag of wheat, a bag of rolled oats...? Or do you go through places like Whole Foods or organic seed distributors?

Pardon the newbie question

6. ChickensAreSweet

perchie.girl :

Quote:I have gone through many of these threads Not enough I am certain but where are your sources for the actual grains. Do you buy them at feed stores like... a bag of corn, a bag of wheat, a bag of rolled oats...? Or do you go through places like Whole Foods or organic seed distributors?

If you look at my BYC page for my recipe, you can see all the things I feed...I buy everything except I think split peas, flaxseed, and peanuts from the feed store. [​IMG]

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

If you look at my BYC page for my recipe, you can see all the things I feed...I buy everything except I think split peas, flaxseed, and peanuts from the feed store. [​IMG]

I did look at your page and at several online sources but was scratching my head over where to buy the ingredients... thank you so much. I was ready to go to Whole Foods or Henrys and get a quote on bags of Wheat and stuff.... I am also looking into doing sprouted feeds too. thanks again

8. ChickensAreSweet

perchie.girl :

Quote:If you look at my BYC page for my recipe, you can see all the things I feed...I buy everything except I think split peas, flaxseed, and peanuts from the feed store. [​IMG]

I did look at your page and at several online sources but was scratching my head over where to buy the ingredients... thank you so much. I was ready to go to Whole Foods or Henrys and get a quote on bags of Wheat and stuff.... I am also looking into doing sprouted feeds too. thanks again​

The feed grade food is so much cheaper than human food.

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    One must be into the research to make their own feed. Rea searching each and every ingredient you can find for it's nutritional characteristics.

IMO the key is diversity, you will want to feed many different kinds of grains and have diverse ingredients. Those grains will vary by region and availability. I called over a dozen different feed/seed mills/stores to find one that had what I was after.

You can see what I feed on my BYC page.

Happy to help you put together a feed that may work for you! See what you can find as far as ingredients go... Lots of research..[​IMG]

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by