How to hook a fan up to a LG incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jzuhde, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jzuhde

jzuhde Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    Nevada, TX
    I have a little giant incubator and wanted to use a computer fan in it. Do I need a transformer? Is it hard to wire a computer fan to it? If anyone has done this or knows how please help me.
    Thanks
    Jen:)

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i bought a small 12vdc fan at radio shack about four days ago, hooked it up to an old adapter i had laying around, i think 500ma. runs it good. i poked a hole through my foam incubator( fit a screw into one of the fan holes and just use the screw) put a washer on the screw put it in, and then tighten the screw in enough to "hang" the fan inside. i actually just used a long skinny bolt i had laying around.. i used electrical tape for the connection of the wires.. because i was too lazy to find little electrical caps. i taped the wires tot he wires of the bator inside the lid and ran it out one of the provided spots on the bator.

i asked about the fan kit, i was priced about 47$ before tax.

I paid 12.99 plus tax at radio shack and have air moving in there just fine!

3. jzuhde

jzuhde Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    Nevada, TX
    Ok perfect! I will go get one at Radio Shack. You did not need a transformer? Someone told me I would, but I have heard of other people not using one. Also I am not sure how to remove the white plastic I am afraid I am going to break it. Is there a trick to removing the cover?

Thanks for the post
    Jen

4. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    thats what i read too but when i asked the guy at radio shack .. it seemed like he didnt know what i meant.. and i quite didnt know either. he said all you need is a 12vdc adapter( nothing to transform) he then pointed me to a $25+ adapter they sell and said he didnt think that one 500mA( or less he said would be much better) would burn it up. i just went and looked and mine is 12vdc 1.25a which i think comes out to 1250ma and it has NOT burnt up yet. i might try and find something smaller but i also might take my chances. it DOES have to be a 12v adapter though.

So look around your house before you go buy one, and see if you have one. if not, check thrift shops for old phones or something that is cheap for one. no sense in paying $25! i got mine off something i just bought at a yard sale for $1.

this is the fan i bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102824

[​IMG]

5. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    are you talking about stripping the insulation off the wires? you can use a wire stripper. i always use scissors. ive gotten pretty good at it. i just cut enough to almost go through it. with small wires like this, you can usually just get it off with your fingernail . if you mess up, the wire on the fan is long enough and your adapter should have a long wire
    ( snip that near its original jack if it has one to preserve as much cord as you can!..

like i said mine hasnt burn up yet, i have it, the auto turner, and the incubator up on the same surge protecter.. all is well.

i would take a pick of it suspended in there when i find my camera .. but there are eggs in there

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Any 80mm PC fan will do. It fit where the LG fan install kit go, but you need a longer screw with washer & nut to hold in place. It should cost $1-$5 if you looking around. The wire hide underneath the controller board and out the same path as the LG power line. I used my old 80mm PC fan with 5VDC cell phone charger. If you want higher fan speed, it can handle up to 12VDC. The fan will operate around 3.5V. The current draw by the fan is less than 200mA. Hope this help....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by