1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How to house 2 turkeys in a healthy environment

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Peevesmom, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Peevesmom

Peevesmom In the Brooder

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm a new turkey owner. I just got them in October. I am getting a little concerned that they're not happy. The male has picked all his pretty back feathers and they both have picked feathers on their chest. Today I saw him peck really hard at the female, usually he is very sweet and protective of her. I keep them in a 12x12 enclosure. I cannot afford to build them a fence right now, unless there is a solution under $150 I could do. If I let them loose on the property will they wander off? I am surrounded by woods and am worried they'll get lost.

Mama Runner likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine follow me around when they are out. As long as you supervise them they shouldn't wander far. Mine have been taught to come when called as well as to be herded with sticks in my hands and arms extended.

I don't generally see any feather picking in my turkeys. What are you feeding them?

Mama Runner likes this.
  3. Peevesmom

Peevesmom In the Brooder

Dec 28, 2017
    I feed the purina game bird startena. They are less than a year old. Born in June. thank you for your reply.

Mama Runner and oldhenlikesdogs like this.
  4. Peevesmom

Peevesmom In the Brooder

Dec 28, 2017
    I would like to allow them to free roam without having to supervise them.

Mama Runner likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I wouldn't do that. There's too many stories on this site of turkeys showing up at people's houses. You could enlarge their run.

memphis and Mama Runner like this.
  6. Mama Runner

Mama Runner Songster

Jun 6, 2017
    Warren County Kentucky
    How much land do you own? We got ours with our Ducks. From the day I brought them home I let them free range. But mine all stay close by the house when I go in. I am also in and out every 30-40 minutes to check on them and spend 10-15 minutes with them before I will go back in. If I see Hawks or dogs we go out and stay out with them.

7. Peevesmom

Peevesmom In the Brooder

Dec 28, 2017
    Do you have suggestions for expanding their run for cheap? It's going to be temporary, in spring my husband and I plan on building a permanent enclosure.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Our run is 4 foot tall welded wire with post, so fairly cheap as prices go.

9. Frank1983

Frank1983 In the Brooder

Jan 10, 2018
    Get a couple 2x4s and a 50ft roll of welded wire and expand off your enclosure

10. Frank1983

Frank1983 In the Brooder

Jan 10, 2018
    20180119_164418.jpg to the right of the chain link fence section I expanded it 16ftx5ft x 4ft high for like 70 bucks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: