How to house a chicken too big to go through coop door?

Pics

kinkachy000

Songster
Mar 18, 2018
Hello,

This is a rather strange, and sad (to me), question. I have 13 chickens; three of them are regular sized chickens, nine are bantams, and then I have one broiler bird, who's the problem. I was never expecting to own a broiler bird, but the supply store mixed up the chicks. And like a broiler bird does, he grew insanely fast and weighs probably ~20 pounds now. There is plenty of room inside the coop for them all to roost comfortably, so that is not the problem. The problem is that my broiler bird cannot fit through the door - he is simply too large (he is literally the same size as my 5-gallon waterer!) He is too wide to even be pushed through the door! No matter how I, or he, tries, he will not fit through the door. Further, due to his weight, it is very difficult to make it up the ramp (again, even with help). So, this means that every night, he sleeps alone at the bottom of the ramp. I feel so bad for him and I want to make something comfortable and warm to sleep in; especially when winter comes, because I live in the PNW and I don't want him sleeping in the rain and mud every night.

I cannot change the size of the coop door. It was special made, with a pulley system, track, and actual door - it would be very difficult to change all of that. Plus, he cannot even make it up the ramp himself, so even if the door was bigger, he wouldn't be able to make it up regardless. At the moment, I have a 7-gallon plastic plant pot turned on its side at the bottom of the ramp, but it is still too small for him to feel comfortable; I also don't think he likes the curve it has, so he will not sleep in it. So, whatever I house him in, it has to be big enough for him to fit and be comfortable. It will also have to be lower to the ground so he can make it in himself.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to house him in? I can build one if given some pictures or ideas, or I can buy something! Please help and just point me in a good direction. I feel terrible seeing him sleep alone; he is the sweetest, softest rooster who loves his girls, but can't even roost with them. :hit Here's some pictures of him (doesn't show his true size though)
IMG_20180523_164127401.jpg IMG_20180523_164129343.jpg

Can he go in the people access door? It would be nice if he can sleep with the girls. You could also try a rabbit hutch, most would need modifications to make them predator safe, though.
He could; it would just require me to pick him up and personally place him within. But, he doesn't quite like being picked up and he starts flapping his wings like crazy. I don't want to stress him out at all and strain his heart (since they are so prone to heart attacks). I love him, and I don't want to make it a stressful, nightly (and morning) occasion.

I will look into rabbit hutches. That's a great idea. Also, it will be placed within the run of the main coop, so it will already be predator proofed. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom