1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to I know my parakeets sex

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Lynn marie, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Lynn marie

Lynn marie New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    my daughter was given 2 beautiful parakeets for Christmas from her poppa but Idk what there sex is and Idk how old they are he got them from a pet store

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] In mature birds the cere (rounded area at base of bill containing the nostrils) will be blue in a male and brown in a female. Immature birds will retain barring across their 'foreheads' - mature birds generally have solid colored foreheads.

3. Lynn marie

Lynn marie New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    I am trying to upload a pic but it's not working and Idk why

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I agree with Sourland the sex of the budgie can be told by the color of the cere. If they are young it can be hard to tell the difference between young birds whom have the "barhead". What color are your budgies? Blue? (Sky Blue which does have a skyish blue color and Cobalt a darker blue) Green? Lutino? (A all yellow bird). Normally in each color you can see the cere difference except in albino's. Normally if you were to purchase from a big pet store like Petco or Petsmart normally have older birds of Blue, Greens, Lutino's and whites with occasionally some more rare colors, not sure about local though saying most of the ones I've been purchase them from local breeders.

5. Lynn marie

Lynn marie New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    [​IMG]

the white one is named olaf (we thought a male) cere is blue and purple
    the yellow one is named sunshine (we thought female) cere is pink

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    olaf is a male for sure, if the yellow one with the pink cere, has a white ring around the nostril hole then its a hen, female, both birds are considered pieds (i have raised birds for many years)

7. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Would that be considered a Lutino pied? and would the other be a dominant pied or a recessive pied?

8. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    no such thing as a lutino pied in parakeets, its either a lutino or a pied, dominant or recessive, and that looks like a recessive, also gettting a male lutino is rare unless you breed two lutino's together, if you have a male lutino set up with another color and get a lutino chick , it will be a hen, if you set up a lutino hen with a split male you might get a lutino male but usually color is dominant, also, lutio's always have red eyes, so do albino's, a cinammon will have ruby colored eyes, not red like the other two, then they turn dark as they get older

9. Lynn marie

Lynn marie New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    thank you for the help I don't know much about them My mom had some when I was growing up but I never paid much mind to them and when I bought my house there was a blue one left here that we kept and my children got very attracted to and then we woke up to him being dead after a year and a half so then poppa got these two for them but I have a question the cage I have my white one olaf keeps trying to get threw the side bars he has made it out a few times the only other cages I have found with smaller space between the bars is only half the size of the one I have but Idk if it will be big enough what size cage should I have with 2

10. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Hello, can anyone confirm the sex of my albino parakeet, please? He (?) is still quite young, but is showing white around the iris around his eye. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by