1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How to I make my chicken go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello I need help to make my chicken go broody any ideas and how to do it???

2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Good Luck when you figure it out let me know [​IMG]

3. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    You cant make her go broody. The closest thing I could say is if you let her lay eggs and keep them, then maybe when she has laid 9-10 eggs she might go broody on her own, but some never do.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Unless you have a magic way to manipulate your hen's hormones, you cannot "make" her go broody.

They either go broody or they don't, it's all up to their hormones, not anything WE can do about it.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

What kind of hen do you have? How old is she? Some breeds are often broody, some breeds almost never get broody, some tend to be more broody as they get older. I personaly don't know of any way to make one go broody. Maybe someone else here can help, I'm no expert, just raised chickens all my life.
    Terry

6. GrannySue

GrannySue Songster

Quote:Hypnosis?
    [​IMG]

7. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:Hypnosis?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I don't know if there are any tried and true methods (i'm never short of broodiness around here for long, so i don't have to try). But i have read some people who will leave the hen in an enclosed space with nothing but a nest, food, and water, and let them keep their eggs. Some have reported good success with this method. It might be worth a shot.

Though, if you don't have a broody-prone breed, it might be a waste of time.

9. chickee

chickee Songster

If you want a broody you need to pick a breed that is known for being broody. I just promised two of my Blue Wyandotte hens that are known broodies to a BYC member who was looking for hens she could use to brood eggs for her. Most breeds are bred not be broody since they stop laying eggs and just take up nest space.

10. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    hello
    as soon as i wrote this i remembured that my chick went missing one night i told my next door neighboor (we have 6 chickens) then she went home and found my chicken then called out to me!! And she said she was broody i ran over and she was!!! she was sitting there making scary noises and puffing up and it was in fish ferns so i had to move it or she could get eaten now i dont have a rooster and underneeth her was 15 eggs (know wonder we have only been getting 5 a day) then we took her to a little cage i had not long made i knew it would come in handy and my next door neighboor gave me 5 ferterlized eggs for her to hatch because we dont have rooster and then i smellt the eggs and they were off!!! yuck i nearly chucket up and so did my freind never crack an off egg!!!
    regards charlotte .p.s. thanx for ur reaplys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: