How to identify Austra White gender

Susanruthm

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2017
I just joined Backyard Chickens. My family has just started our first flock, and this is my first post. We bought 8 - five-week old Austra White "hens" about 3 weeks ago. They all look the same, white with black spots. The Agway store sold them as hens, but said while it doesn't happen a lot, there can always be a rooster. We've dealt with the owner for 20+ years and have always found him to be extremely trustworthy. I see that some online hatcheries also sell Austra Whites as sexed. ...so, I'm wondering what is true, since I've seen several posts on this site saying that Austra Whites absolutely cannot be sexed. At what age might I begin to recognize a difference in their appearance/behavior? Thank you!

Like all chickens, they can be vent sexed when very young. They aren't sex links or anything like that, though. So if you have an early blooming cockerel, you might be able to recognize him at a young age, maybe three weeks old or so. Usually you're gonna have to wait until 6-8 weeks to accurately tell gender, but it does depend on the individual.

Feel free to post pics of your chicks! Right now it might be better to wait a week or two, but we can try and see what you've got. :)

Like all chickens, they can be vent sexed when very young. They aren't sex links or anything like that, though. So if you have an early blooming cockerel, you might be able to recognize him at a young age, maybe three weeks old or so. Usually you're gonna have to wait until 6-8 weeks to accurately tell gender, but it does depend on the individual.

Feel free to post pics of your chicks! Right now it might be better to wait a week or two, but we can try and see what you've got. :)
Thank you for your reply! My profile pic (just added) is when they were only 5 weeks old, but I'll post some current pics later today of all of them.
p.s. I'm thankful, too, for the Lord's great gift to us!

Thank you for your reply! My profile pic (just added) is when they were only 5 weeks old, but I'll post some current pics later today of all of them.
p.s. I'm thankful, too, for the Lord's great gift to us!

You're welcome! Ok.

That's wonderful! It's great to meet another fellow believer here!

And welcome to BYC! I noticed I forgot to say that in my first post. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom