1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to identify chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by puebloyoga, Aug 9, 2011.

1. puebloyoga

puebloyoga Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi,
    I'm new to chicks (today!) and I just received my order of 6 chickens from mypetchicken.com. 2 died en route [​IMG] Any good web site/resource to identify which ones survived (and didn't)

-Jen
    Oakland, CA

2. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Do they have chick pictures on their websites? I know a lot of the hatcheries do, so you could start there [​IMG] Which did you order?

3. puebloyoga

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks! We ordered one Buff Orpington, one Welsummer, two Easter Eggers, one Rhode Island Red, one Golden Laced Wyandotte. The two that died look like they are the same - have stripes down their back - they are tan with black stripes. I think they might be Easter Eggers, but it's hard to tell from their web site b/c they have about 20 different photos of that variety, but that's my hunch anyway.

Jen
    Oakland, CA

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I would suggest going to feathersite.com and look in the chicken catagory. They have pictures of every breed and the chicks too! Sorry you lost some! [​IMG] Sounds like they were either EEs or Welsummers.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. puebloyoga

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for all of the advice. It's helping me get through my first day of raising chicks - amazing how quickly I'm already attached to them and luxuriating in the peeps.

Jen
    Oakland, CA
    ---still figuring out what kind of chicks I have left [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by