How to identify the age of a chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I am raising pullets to show & sell at our county fair in January. They will be 6-8 months old at that time. What identifying characteristics can I show to potential buyers to prove that these really are nice young birds? At that age can I still call them Point-of-Lay?

At this fair there are a lot of interested buyers, and therefore many people who enter their older somewhat spent hens in order to sell them & make room in their flocks. And they price them extremely low. I want to be able to truly justify higher the price I'll ask for my chickens because they're right at the beginning of their laying careers.

Thank you for your imput!

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    At that age the keel (breast bone) should still be pliable , it will be hard and rigid in an old fowl
    David

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps a quick look at their teeth would show their age.

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    As my boys would say, "Oh hardy har-har!" and roll their little eyes... [​IMG]

But really now, isn't there a good way to tell based on the intensity of color on certain parts of their bodies? I want to be able to assure potential buyers that my birds aren't past their prime.

5. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Once a chicken is a year or two old do they still molt?

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Yup..

And by that age pullets still have some growing to do (height, width, head width.. etc), so you could try using that as an example but may not work for some large hens.

7. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
  8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

With roosters, the size (length) of the spurs might be somewhat of an indication, if they haven't been "trimmed". Perhaps something similar would apply to hens, although I don't expect any such indication would be particularly "accurate".

I think "checking the teeth" may be about the best you can do.

"Leg-banding" and keeping an accurate "journal" would be best. [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by