How to increase ducks' winter laying production?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Funniducki1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Every winter, despite the artificial light to make for a complete 14hrs of light, we barely get an egg a day. There are 5 females, 2 drakes. Although the one pair we've held onto just for pets...they are nearly 10yrs old now, and I don't expect anything from them. We just keep the two around because they were our first [​IMG].
    They are not crowded, have fresh water 2x day, all the chicken layer crumbles they want, along with some cracked corn to help keep them warm in the winter (snowy!).
    There are 3 girls that are 2yrs old...So I still should be getting a reasonable amount of eggs. I know winter is tougher on them, but they are in a covered 3-sided shelter/run.

Any ideas...clues..supplements you can think of that would be wise to implement? I would at least like to not have to buy eggs at the store all the time, since one of the reasons I have ducks is their wonderful eggs [​IMG]

TIA,

FD1

and oh! P.S. they are production buff and black runners [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Only thing I can suggest is increase the time of artificial light given by an extra hour or two and see if that brings them back into lay, however it is important to allow them a break from laying some time in the year not just when they are molting. Some multi vitamins a few days a week in their water could help to boost their natural intake in winter as well.

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i do 17 hours of light on all my birds. i got 5 eggs from 6 girls this morning and it 1 degrees f here. its is so cold. my girls are laying 5 eggs a day for past 2 weeks.be fore that i was only getting 3-4 a day. i like layer pellets i think they get more blanced diet than with crumbles. with the pellets the water stays much cleaner and more in their bellies. mine seem top waste the crumbles.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  4. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Thank you for suggestions, it helped [​IMG].

I will reset the timers so the light stays on longer, 16/17 hrs. I just have to figure it out...LOL.

Oh they have had a good rest....not been laying since probably October. Hehe.

I feel like they need a boost. [​IMG]

Also, what do you fellow cold snowy climate duck keepers do to prevent the eggs from freezing before you get to them? Heating the place is not an option.
    I am thinking of using some old shelving to make all new nest boxes out of along the one side of the shelter, with a hinge on the top to collect the eggs.

5. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i dont heat mine. it was 1f in morning yesturday at 5 then it dropped -3 f yesturday and my eggs were still warm. they all lay before 7am so they never get cold. i have 18 in the bator now.
    i had 18 fertile outta 22

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by