How to increase protein in scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kayla's Lunch, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    I bought some scratch that wasn't what I thought it was :( It's Purina Organic Scratch with corn, wheat and barley and has 7% protein. What can I add to increase the protein? I don't know how much of what to add to make this better. I have those little alfalfa cubes. What else can I add? Canned/frozen peas, BOSS, scrambled egg, tuna??? And if possible can you give me an idea of how much to add per lb of scratch. I have been trying to figure out the whole protein percentages but I just can't get the hang of it.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Are you trying to turn this scratch into a full time feed for them?

3. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    No, just trying to salvage a mistake.

4. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    Their main feed is New Country Organics Grower/Broiler. I feed them some scratch that is whole grain. This stuff has cracked corn in it and is powdery and I don't like it. I ferment their feed so I could ferment it and feed it to them if I could figure out how to up the protein.

5. Texas Kiki

So you plan on keeping it as a treat correct?
    Why not just leave it as is and only give a super small amount to them?

6. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    The other scratch that I feed them gets thrown on the ground, scratched around, and then even sprouts. They don't seem to like this powdery stuff and since the corn is cracked, it's not going to sprout. Since I already have the scratch that they do like, I have a lot of scratch for 11 chickens and this stuff will be sitting around for a long time.

7. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    On really cold nights, I mix the scratch with warm water and some alfalfa cubes, or eggs, or canned peas and feed that when they come in from free ranging. That's the only time they eat this scratch. But I have no idea if I am adding too much of the extra protein or not enough.

8. Texas Kiki

Ok gotcha.
    What about buying a game bird feed and mixing it with this yucky scratch?
    Game bird feed is usually pretty high in protein.

9. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    You could always soak it and add tuna or scrambled egg I guess...dunno.
    That would add protein.

10. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    Thanks. I can try that. I haven't actually seen any around here. My regular feed that I use has be be special ordered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: