How to increase the humidity for my homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kulangi, Feb 1, 2011.

1. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Hi,
    I am planning to put some hatching eggs in my incubator next week and I having problem raising the humidity from 39% in my home made incubator cooler. My incubator is made up of chest cooler that is divided in two section. The first section is where I put the light, water, thermostat and the fan. The other section is where I place hatching eggs over three rows of trays. I have been trying to use different ways to increase the humidity level to 50% degree but have not been successful. If I close all the air passage on my incubator then I get lots of condensations over the glass which results in not seeing the eggs.
    I'd appreciate your help in the matter.

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    if you want more humidity, than you need more surface area being water, such as using a wide pan, instead of a little bowl of water

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    or you can use a large sponge

4. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    like a large sponge soaked in water

5. kulangi

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks for all your advise. Does it matter where I put the large soaked Sponge?

6. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    not to close to the light, just far enough away from eggs

7. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    when adding water use hot not cold, it keeps it more steady. add more or less to increase or decrease the humidity after it's been steady for a few hours. I wouldn't plug up holes. I also use a homemade bator. I put a shallow bowl of water on the bottom. If it doesn't hold enough to get the humidity up to where you need it, get a bigger bowl/pan or something shallow and replace it. Add hot water, wait a few hours to figure out how much higher/lower you need, and repeat until you get it corrected. mark your bowl with a fill line once you get it where you want it. add some extra at lockdown.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    how big and where did you put the vent holes...?

i have a fridgebator, and i made two huge holes on top... two pieces of 1/2" PVC sticking out of the top... it doesn't hold humidity as well as i would like, but it's okay... i just have to replace the water in the small dish daily to keep it at 45%... i also have the small dish/cup whatever under one of the fans, blowing hot air into the water... it evaporates it faster... during lock down i plan to put a huge dish on the bottom... like they said, it's all about surface area...

9. kulangi

Jul 8, 2010
    The vent holes are 1/2 inch holes that I made for three row trays. There is also two vents on side of the cooler. I have small dish/cup under the light so I can not put bigger cup because of the light. Can I put the sponge or wet towel underneath the egg trays?

Quote:

10. jaegerbabe

jaegerbabe New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    We have a homemade incubator and this is our 2nd yr. using it. We put an old pot directly under the heat lamp, line the whole insed w/ aluminum foil and have a fan that blows it into the other attached box where the eggs are. We have a very successful hatch rate doing this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by