how to increase your sq footage

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CANDLE98, Mar 24, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I know that I need 4sq feet per bird in my coop. I was wondering if adding a second level with a ramp up to it will add to the sq footage allowance. What else could I do to add sq footage so I can add a couple more chickens to my coop. Also how many hens per nest box? Thanks!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    My layer coop is small - 4x8. When I wanted to add a few more, we put an addition onto the coop.

We also built the original coop with a 2nd level, which has worked out REALLY REALLY well; it's a good place for new young pullets to go to get away from the big girls (even though the big girls can and do go under). Here are a few pics:

Here's the original coop before completion - you can see the upper level to the left:

[​IMG]

Here it is completed:

[​IMG]

And here it is with the new addition added (not painted yet obviously!!):

[​IMG]

It has worked out really well for us!

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is a super cute coop! What a good idea

4. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, gosh - thanks for the comment, but it's really pretty basic. It's not fancy in any way, but it's easy to maintain, and the girls love it! Now the coop I bought from Opa on here is SUPER CUTE - I haven't put any birds in it yet, because we don't have the fencing up around it for the run. But I can't WAIT to get some birds in it:

Just brought it home - still on trailer:

[​IMG]

All painted and ready for birds!

[​IMG]

5. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have a roost with a droppings board, and a second level (narrow 10" board) that leads to the waterer. In addition to the 4'x5' main coop floor.

Most of the time, all the chickens are on the lower level. But sometimes, even during the day, some of them will be up in the roost, or hanging out on the waterer shelf.

With 4 chickens through the winter, I had some problems with pecking. (One died unexpectedly 2 weeks ago, so now I have 3.) I had expected they would go out more in the winter. If you have a covered run for the winter, I think adding space with multiple levels in the coop will work. I added a run.

6. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    Do you happen to have plans for the main unit?

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Vermontgal, do you have pics of your coop? I can't visualize the waterer shelf, but it sounds interesting!

gmzamz, if you were asking me if I have plans for my coop (wasn't sure who you were talking to), sorry, I do not. I told my hubby what I wanted, and he just sort of threw it together...neither of us are carpenters, but it works really well. It ain't pretty, but the chickens don't mind a bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by