How to Incubate Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wackums, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I've incubated 1 batch of eggs 5/36 hatched but we had the eggs placed incorrectly and we also found out the temperature and humidity was wrong on it. I bought a humidity/temp stat but I can't keep my temperature at 99. I can't even get it to 95 it's about 90-93 and I'm just worried for my eggs. I got 7 guinea eggs and 20 chicken eggs in there and I'd like for them all to hatch. I have a rotater my cousin let me borrow, I can keep the humidity about 35-45%, I just worry about the temperature

2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    What incubator are you using? Have you calibrated the thermometer?

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow Some of the eggs may hatch but if the temperature is low they may take a couple of extra days before they hatch. I'm also curious what incubator you are using. Often times there may be an egg or two that will quit before they hatch. I rarely have a 100% hatch, but have in the past. During incubation I try to keep my humidity around 35% too.

UThobbyfarmer and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  4. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    No clue how to calibrate it and I have a still air incubator

5. Wackums

Wackums In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I've read 35-45% is best for guinea eggs so I get it up to about 40-45% before I go to work cause it lowers fast. It's also a still air incubator

6. cchapmanelectric

cchapmanelectric In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I've got a dozen or more that the girls aren't paying attention to like they should.
    What incubator is something I would want to look at purchasing as a newbie?

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow Everyone is different so it's hard to suggest a particular incubator. I have a cabinet but I hatch around 300 eggs each year. If you do get a styrofoam incubator, here is a good thread with a lot of good tips and tricks. If you can incubate and hatch in one of them then you can incubate and hatch in most anything. I have one I made out of a styrofoam cooler and it works great. Good luck and have fun...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/little-giant-incubator-tricks.601352/

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There are two methods that you could use to calibrate thermometers -

Ice Point Method - Fill a container with crushed ice and water. Ensure that the container has enough crushed ice to provide an environment of 32 degrees F, so you may need to add more ice into the container during the process. It will takes about 4 to 5 minutes for the mixture of water to stabilized. Then insert the thermometer which needs to be calibrated into the appropriate immersion depth. Hold the thermometer away from the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 32 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.
    Some Thermometers are adjustable and some are not.

Boiling Point Method - Fill a container with distilled water and heat it up. After the temperature in the water has reached the boiling point, insert the thermometer . Be sure to leave at least a two inch gap between the thermometer sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 212 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.
    Again some Thermometers are adjustable and some are not. If the thermometer is off just note the difference.

There are some thermometers that are not meant to be put in water and water may damage them. This is what I do for these types of thermometers. I fill a glass with crushed ice (NO WATER) and put the thermometer probe around halfway down into the ice and cover with a washcloth. I let the thermometer set in the ice for about 15 minutes. At that time it should read around 32ºF. Good luck and have fun...

9. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
  10. UThobbyfarmer

UThobbyfarmer Crowing

May 29, 2013
    Utah
    You've gotten some great advice so far. The only thing I'll add is that with styrofoam incubators their location can make a big difference. If you have a warmer more stable room considering moving it or placing it there next time. Good luck! Best advice I've gotten "hatching isn't for the faint of heart".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: