How to incubate Wild Eggs...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1lpoock, Jan 19, 2010.

1. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I'm really having a hard time finding the answer. My wood ducks, mandarins, and ringed teals will be laying in another month or two and I want to be ready. I am planning on buying a sportsman incubator in a few weeks. I know the mothers can hatch out their own eggs and raise their ducklings, but I want to get more than just one clutch out of them. SOme suggest taking their eggs and putting them under a broody silkie? However, I don't have any broody birds in any of my flocks. I've heard that if you put wild waterfowl eggs straight into the incubator you should expect a bad hatch....hopefully some experienced wild waterfowl owners will see this.

2. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    If you let the hens set on them for the first 2 weeks and then pull the clutch and incubate the last 2 weeks you will have better results. They will more then likely lay another clutch. Keep in mind that double clutching is hard on your hens. I've got 7 silkie hens... maybe I should rent them out to ya... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  3. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    I'd invest in some cochin hens. Let them do the incubating of wild duck eggs. If you take a mandarin or wood duck hen's first clutch, it will induce her to lay another. That's what I paln to do this spring. A hen is far more reliable than an incubator. If you want to maximize your hatch of wild waterfowl, I'd get some broody hens.

4. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Save your money............given adequate space and care, your Wood ducks, Mandarins and Ring Teal will hatch them out with better results. If they each hatch out 10 ducklings, do you have the space for 30 plus ducks?

Each one of those breeds is capable in the practice of forcing a second clutch, but if it is done year after year you may find health concerns with your ducks. (hens)

giffy
    --------------

5. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Thats true...i guess I will let them set and hatch their own, or at least take the eggs from her the last 3 days, that way it will be easier for me to get them in a brooder, instead of chasing them all around the pen!

6. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:Good advice. I think I'll adhere to it as well.

7. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would let the ducks hatch and raise the ducklings if you can. If you can't due to the ducklings being able to escape the aviary, be aware that mandarin ducklings sometimes need to be taught to eat. The hens will teach them to eat. If you have to raise them in a brooder, you'll need to be prepared with mealworms to get them started eating.

8. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yeah I know that, I've raised mandarin ducklings before. I just don't want to let her brood them because I will have to let the babies grow a little, then try and catch them all to move them to a grow out pen. Plus, it will be too crowded in there with all kinds of babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by