1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

How to inject

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracy the chick, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Could someone please tell me where on the chicken do i give an injection? My chicken has Coryza and i have to start giving them injections from monday when there medication arrives. Also how do i give an injection....

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    If you are using Tylan make sure to do the injection SubQ (subcutaneous, under the skin). Don't inject into muscle. It can cause permanent muscle damage if injected into the muscle.

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    When we had to do antibiotics, we gave the penicillin injection in the meaty part of the breast. Not sure if it is the same for the meds for Coryza. Husband held bird and I blew back feathers so we could see the skin, stuck the needle into the bird and pushed the plunger. For me, the hardest part was getting the needle through the skin - it was tougher than I imagined and I didn't want to hurt the bird.

5. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Quote:If this is the case, disregard my previous post. What we did was intramuscular, not SubQ. Hopefully someone else will get on and say how and where to do SubQ on a chicken.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thanks guys xxxx

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A SQ injection is one of the easiest to give if you have the right sized needle. For a chicken it needs to be tiny gauged and short. Pick a likely spot on the bird, preferably where there is some fatty tissue. You are not trying to stick into a muscle, just into the fatty layer under the skin, so the needle doesn't go very deep. Clean your chosen area with alcohol, pinch the skin up so you have a little pinchful of skin between your thumb and index fingers, penetrate your pinch with the needle, and inject the med. Clean the area again with alcohol. Easy as pie! Remember to rotate your sites so as not to damage any one area with the medicine.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by